Laney's Love Life

Navigating a friendship with Dylan has been relatively okay, besides the times when all I want is to rip his clothes off. I've been resisting the urge, but having had him in that way only makes me want it more. I scold myself every time because we've finally become friends again, real honest friends. It reminds me of before we figured out our feelings, when we were just us. Sometimes I realize that he'll probably bring Elle around, and I feel sick to my stomach. I just try not to think of it.
"I need to find a boyfriend" Laney whines breaking me from my train of thought. I look up from the carrot I'm cutting. She plops down across from me looking upset.
"Why?" I ask, she huffs leaning on her palm. She reaches out grabbing a piece of carrot and biting into it.
"I'm lonely, and I want to have sex" She sighs making me laugh.
"You have plenty of options" I chuckle, she shakes her head sitting up straighter.
"Who? Jason!" She exclaims, I shrug
"He makes good money" I quip, making her laugh
"I'm serious, I want someone to cuddle" She croaks making me sigh. I place the carrots into the pan, before turning back to her.
"Okay well I could ask Dylan if he has any friends!?" I suggest
"That's smart, see this is why I keep you around" She laughs, I roll my eyes but smile. I hear the front door open, and shut. Laney perks up, a smirk on her face.
"Speak of the devil" She comments, just as Dylan walks into the kitchen. He's dressed in his work suit, his hair looks wind-whipped, and his face flush.
"What about me?" He asks plopping down next to Laney. I turn to mix the stirfry mixture on the stove.
"Why is your hair so messy?" Laney asks
"That's what you wanted to ask me?" He laughs
"Just answer the question" She exclaims, her tone firm.
"I drove my new Jeep home" He says, I turn toward him.
"You got the car?" I ask, he nods smiling.
"It looks better than my beat-up truck when I take clients out" He explains
"So your dad wanted you to get a new car?" Laney asks, her eyebrow raised in question.
"Well he wanted me to get a sports car, something sleek, I compromised on the classic jeep I've wanted since I started driving" He smiles proudly.
"Congrats" I nod, he shrugs. Laney looks between us, a wide smile on her face, it makes me blush and look away.
"Anyway, I had a question?" Laney says, as I add the cabbage.
"Okay?" He sounds concerned, like he's scared of what she'll ask him. Laney's very blunt, you always know what she's thinking.
"I want you to fix me up with one of your friends" She rushes out, I can hear the blush in her voice. I pull out plates for us, while Dylan sit's looking like he's deep in thought.
"Vi, you remember Alex?" He finally says. I think back to meeting Alex, but I can't seem to picture him.
"Not really.." I respond
"Skater boy Alex" He describes, then a vivid image of Alex running me over with his skateboard comes to mind.
"The one who ran me over?" I clarify, Dylan nods, and Laney looks intrigued.
"You think?" I ask
"Definitely, they're both wild"
"Ya but two wild things might be too much" Dylan laughs, while Laney follows our conversation mouth agape in concentration.
"Sam?" He solves. Sam is one of Dylan's oldest friends, they're a lot alike except, Sam is very straightforward. He's the ultimate golden boy.
"Opposites attract" I nod
"Okay, how do I meet both?" Laney adds in a wicked smile on her face.
"Actually there's a party tonight that I know Alex will be at, and I can invite Sam" He offers, Laney claps excitedly.
"Awesome, except don't tell them about the set up" She points her finger menacingly, Dylan nods in agreement.
"Vi, you're coming" Laney turns to me, her eyes wide.
"Only if I can invite Kalani we were supposed to have a movie night," I say
"The more the merrier" Laney quips making Dylan laugh.
...
I stand in my closet in only my bra and underwear, hating every piece of clothing I own. I grab a sundress aunt V bought me, but quickly throw it behind me. I actually want to dress up tonight, but everything seems so lame.
"Hey, Vi, who's driving tonight" Dylan walks into my room without knocking. I stand there frozen, his eyes widen in shock.
"Shit sorry, I should have knocked" he stammers without moving back out the door. A part of me relishes in the way his eyes stick to me, unable to look away.
"You've seen it all before" I shrug, he nods. He continues standing there eyes wide and glossy.
"What did you need?" I laugh, loving this feeling of power. He shakes his head, and shoves his hand in his pockets.
"Who's driving tonight?" He says clearing his throat. I stick my hip out just slightly before turning back into my closet. I can feel his eyes on me, and I smile to myself.
"We could get Laney to drive, if you don't want to!" I say shuffling through some clothes.
"Sure, ya" He stammers, I turn back, and he quickly looks away. I stand with my hand on my hip, looking him up and down.
"I need your help," I say, he looks back at me. I take a step forward, and he seems to hesitate.
"I don't know what to wear, and I was wondering if I could maybe borrow a shirt," I say, he chuckles
"You want one of my shirts, it's going to be too big on you" He points out.
"I'm gonna wear my bike shorts under, so it'll be cute. I just want to borrow your striped shirt" I explain. His eyes trace over me again, this time making me blush.
"Ya sure, go ahead" he nods, I nod back feeling the air between us become charged. I see him suck in a breath, his eyes turning slightly darker. I step closer, relishing in the noise he makes. A mix of surprise and angst.
"Thanks" I say before brushing past him to go to his room. My skin is on fire from where I brushed up against him, and my breathing is coming out rapid and uneven. I quickly grab the shirt I needed and rush to the bathroom.
...
"It's pretty packed" I yell over the pounding music, Kalani nods in agreement, moving closer to me. I follow Dylan who's making his way to the back of the house, where he said he'd meet Sam. Laney is beside him, fixing her hair nervously, while looking around. We stop, and i notice Sam walking towards us. He looks bigger than I remember, more burley. His blonde hair is short, and his face is stonefaced.
"Sam" Dylan calls a huge smile on his face, Sam smiles lightly before pulling Dylan into a hard hug. Laney smiles, her eyes taking in the scene.
"I haven't seen you in forever" Dylan comments, Sam chuckles and it's deep enough to rumble through the music.
"I've been busy, but I heard you started at your dad's company" He responds, his eyes move slowly to Laney. He does a doubletake, and I notice a small blush on his cheeks.
"Ya, I actually love it" Dylan smiles, Sam nods curtly, before his eyes move back to Laney. Dylan notices and chuckles lowly.
"Sam, this is Laney, Laney Sam" Dylan introduces, Sam extends his hand, his eyes wide and bright.
"Nice to meet you" he utters, she nods her smile still stuck on her face.
"Drinks?" She asks, he looks confused and she laughs
"You want a drink?" She laughs, he chuckles and nods running a hand through his short hair. They walk together through the crowd, I can hear Laney giggle as she walks.