- the letter -

IT WAS 10:56 PM, and Elenora was sitting on the bottom bunk of Peter Parker's bed

IT WAS 10:56 PM, and Elenora was sitting on the bottom bunk of Peter Parker's bed. In her hand, Elenora held a crumpled letter that had spent the last three days hiding in the girl's backpack, the clutter around it leaving pen marks and torn corners. It wasn't as crisp as it had been three days prior, but it still held the same mystery.

Elenora wouldn't have dared to even touch the letter if Peter wasnt out of the room- luckily, he had left five minutes earlier to take a shower, and Phil Coulson said he wouldn't be there until around 1 AM. So there she was with at least 15 minutes of freedom, and burning questions.

She thought that maybe she shouldn't be so enticed by this letter-it was most likely just spam. It was probably just a letter from a school who sent it to everyone. But no matter how much she tried to brush it off, the stupid letter nagged her, and practically told her to open it. Maybe she would have opened it before, but she didn't know if Bucky or Steve would be upset- it might have been addressed to her, but there could've been some rule about opening it without them. And that brought up another thing- the paper she held in her hands was the first letter that she'd ever received. It had her name.

Caught in a web, Elenora sat there running her fingers over the emblem- the X in the circle. The pad of her finger traced over it. Should she open it?

Bucky and Steve probably wouldn't be upset. They made it clear that everything in the house was Elenora's, and she should never feel weird about asking for anything or using anything. What was in that house was hers. And that letter was in the house. And it had her name.

I should just open it, she told herself. It's mine. It has my name.

And maybe she would have-opened it, that is- right there and right then but her phone started ringing.

Tucking the letter away, Elenora pulled her phone from her pocket. The screen displayed the word "UNKNOWN". Hesitantly, Elenora swiped and answered; it could have been Phil, he had told her to always answer the phone while she stayed with him, no matter what. "Hello?" Her voice was far more timid than she had meant, and she cringed at her own voice.

"Elenora, Sweetheart?"

Elenora stood up in shock and excitement. She pressed the phone closer to her ear, not believing it. "Dad? Is that you?"

There was rumbling in the background, but Steve answered. "Yeah, Bug, its me."

"I was worried," she told him. "I was so so worried after the video chat and the attack and Tony and then Phil-"

"I'm alright, Elenora," he comforted. "No one was seriously injured. You know the Avengers have some enemies, but nothing that we can't handle." Elenora nodded, even though she knew Steve couldn't see. The Avengers had made it through Loki and many other things, they could handle this group, whoever it was. If Elenora could make it out alive, so could trained heroes. They could do anything.