- essential conversations + winning combat -

Hey guys, I love when y'all comment and vote! Tell me what you think :)

There was a phone, two dads, and a trembling 14 (almost 15!) year old girl sitting at the kitchen table in Rogers-Barnes residence three days before school ended

In the middle of the table, there was a phone and a card.

"How am I supposed to call?" Elenora demanded, huffing out a breathe and tucking her hair behind her ear. Steve and Bucky shared a look- they knew the feeling. Steve did, very well; he felt the same way when he had to introduce himself to a 14 year old girl months ago. Bucky, knowing what was going through his mind, just smiled warily at him, and then they both turned back to their daughter. "I'm serious!" she exclaimed, letting her hands fall with a thud on the wood table. "He's the one that knew about me, he should have to call! I didn't do anything to deserve freaking out about how to-"

Steve's hand fell on her shoulder, and her blue eyes rose to meet his. He offered a small, sincere smile. "Don't overthink it."

"Right," Bucky agreed with Steve's advice. "And besides, Doll, he invited you. You're just confirming."

More assured that everything would be fine, Elenora nodded, and reached for her phone. Then the card. Letting out a breath, Elenora looked to Bucky and Steve one last time, before going to punch in the digits.

She checked that she got the sequence. Then double checked. Then tripled, and went to do it for a fourth time, but Bucky huffed, grabbed the card and ruffled her hair.

"Just press the damn button, Ellie," Bucky pressed, and Steve just placed a hand on her shoulder.

And so she did.

All three of them listened closely as the phone rang once, twice, then someone picked up, and all three of their breathes hitched.

"Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters," a male voice, about 27 Elenora would guess, announced. There was a lot of background noise, Elenora noticed, it must've been a passing period.

With a nudge from Bucky, Elenora remembered to speak. "Oh! Oh, um, right, I'm calling for the professor. Charles Xavier."

"Are you a personal friend of the professor?"

"Uh, I dunno, I guess?"

"You guess?"

"I'm sorta, uh, his niece."

There was a pause. Some rustling. Elenora looked at Bucky and Steve with her bright red face and trembling hands. She hoped that whoever that guy was, he wasn't the professor.

"Oh! Elenora, correct?"

Elenora modded, ready to start crying if this man said he was the professor. Then she realized that he couldn't see her nod, and choked out a "Yeah".