Chapter 17

After school ended, you met Ara at the gate.
"(Y/N)......you look really.......how do I say this......." she started. You stared at her weakly.
"Heartbroken." she said with a worried look on her face. You chuckled sadly.
"That's accurate." you said.
"(Y/N)......" she said.
"Ara? Is it okay if I don't walk with you guys today? I have somewhere I want to go to....." you said.
"Of...course. I know you need some time to yourself right now.....I hope you get better." Ara said.
"You sound like I'm sick or something." you said, smiling sadly. She didn't say anything, so you waved at her.
"Bye, then. Tell Chanwoo I said hi." you said before turning around and leaving.

You were afraid that you might end up crying if you walked with Jinhwan again. Apparently you were really emotional, and you didn't want to see him on his phone again. You walked silently to the park where you could be by yourself again. The small time you spent by yourself on the roof wasn't long enough. When you arrived there, you were a bit surprised because there really wasn't anybody there. You had expected at least one person to be there, but this time, the park was bare. The playground structure didn't occupy any children, there were no dogs on the sidewalk, and nobody on the benches. The cloudy sky only made the atmosphere somber and gloomy, and the swings rocked gently in the wind.

Well, at least you could be alone. You went over to the swing set and sat down in one, only rocking back and forth, feet still on the floor. You spaced out, thinking about your situation right now. If Jinhwan really likes Sooyoung........ You thought. I promise that I'll still be his friend. No matter what. You didn't even realise that you were crying again until you felt something wet fall on your leg. You sniffed and didn't bother to wipe your tears away. Soon enough, your tears weren't the only thing that were falling. Raindrops fell from the gray clouds and gently tapped your head. After a few minutes, it was drizzling. You remained on the swings though. You didn't care if you were getting wet, you were supposed to be crying your heart out right now. You didn't sob or cry out, you just silently let your tears fall. They were falling quite violently, actually.

You closed your eyes and continued to cry, feeling the rain pour on you, until you couldn't feel it anymore. You opened your eyes and saw that something was hovering above your head. You looked up and saw somebody standing beside you.
"D-Donghyuk?" you said. You saw him smile as he held the umbrella over you. You took the handle and he sat down on the swing next to yours.
"B-But you're getting wet....." you said to him.
"It's okay, Noona. I like the rain." he said. You sniffed and then wiped your tears.
"What are you doing here?" you asked, voice a little shaky.
"Well, it seems that I'm not the only one who came to think about things." he said.
"You're having problems too?" you asked. He nodded.

"Oh...." you said quietly. You talked a bit with Donghyuk while it was still raining. Ignoring the fact that he literally came out of nowhere, you continued to chat with him.
"I'm feeling a little emotionally unstable right now." you said.
"That's okay. I won't judge, I mean I'm going through a little insecurity at the moment." he said. Your eyes were still damp from crying, but you managed to smile at him before giving his umbrella back.
"You're okay, Donghyuk." you said to him. He smiled back. He then grabbed your hand reassuringly. No, it wasn't because he liked you. This was more of a protective and friendly hold, so you knew he was holding it to provide an "it'll be okay" feeling.
"Hang in there, Noona. I know your strong." He said as he squeezed your hand. You smiled.
"I hope so." You replied. He then let go and turned to walk away.
"Bye, Noona. Take care." he said as he left, giving you one last smile. You watched him until he was out of view. When you turned your head though, you were met with a drenched Jinhwan, who was standing there staring at you with wide eyes. You didn't say anything. How long was he standing there? He was panting for some reason....maybe he ran all the way here? But....why?? He calmed down and blinked, just staring at you, yet the way he did almost made him look as if he was sad.

Seeing him again almost made you cry, but you held it in and got up from the swing. You walked over to him.
"(Y/N)......" he whispered.
"Friends can hug, right?" you asked him with a shaky voice.
"Um...well, yeah, I guess. Why do you-" he got cut off as you brought him into a tight hug. You didn't care that his clothes were wet, you just wanted to hug him. You sniffed as you had your head against his chest. You could faintly hear his heartbeat. You stayed like that for a few minutes. Once you let go, you sniffed and wiped the tear that fell out of your eye.
"I'm sorry, I just really needed to hug someone." you said before turning to walk away. You walked a few steps forward, but halted when Jinhwan grabbed your wrist. You turned your head and saw his sad expression.
"Walk home with me." you heard him whisper. You wiped away another tear and nodded.

The two of you walked together in the rain, clothes soaked and hair absolutely drenched, and not a single word came out of your mouths. When you arrived at your houses, you waved at him and went inside, only to get ambushed by your one and only Tokki Oppa, who wrapped you in a towel and tackled you to the floor.
"Ack! Oppa!"
"HA! I knew you'd be drenched when you came back!"
"Argh! Get off, you're flippin heavy!"

Once you settled down and went upstairs, you glanced at the hoodie again. Then, you got a phone call. It was from Ara, so you picked up.

"Hello?"
"Hey, (Y/N). I uh-"
"Was Sooyoung there at lunch today?"
"Um...yeah..."

You weren't surprised.

"And, uh, that leads to another thing. I need to tell you something."
"What is it?"
"Remember when I told you that you should confess to Jinhwan?"
"Yeah......?"
"I thought about it and I felt like I really needed to tell you......"

You waited for Ara to tell you.

"I don't think it's a good idea, you shouldn't do it."