Chapter 38

Later that day, you asked Ara if she could take you home. She walked with you up to your house and left afterwards, giving you a hopeful smile before leaving. You sighed when you walked inside your house. You were relieved that Jinhwan wasn't in there anymore, but at the same time you felt a little sad about it. That night, you didn't sleep. You stayed up the entire night, leaning against the wall staring at nothing. Your eyes were swollen from crying, and you couldn't stop thinking about what happened. Did you really break up with Jinhwan? Was everything over? It made your head hurt.

When the morning came, you went an hour earlier to school. You didn't want to deal with Jinhwan. You didn't want to see him at all. You didn't care if you had to wait an hour until your first class started, you just didn't want to bump into him. You texted Ara that you wouldn't walk with them to school today and she replied, telling you that she completely understood. You were in a mess. Not only did you have to worry about Jinhwan, you had to deal with Sooyoung. What if she already knew what happened? Then she wouldn't leave you alone and you would have to watch as she had fun with Jinhwan. Just ignore everything. Jinhwan isn't your business anymore. You told yourself. You sighed and closed your eyes, wincing when you knew that you were lying to yourself.

~~time skip~~

It was second period. Probably the most problematic one now. With no emotion, you just followed the routine without talking to anybody. You just did what you were supposed to. When you went outside after dressing, you expected Jinhwan to come out, but it was Chanwoo instead. You sighed and looked at him. He was more bearable to look at.
"Mr. Kim was busy and needed to do something important so he put me in charge today." Chanwoo said. You rolled your eyes and frowned. Oh, because he's sooooo busy, isn't he. You thought.
"He did want to talk to (Y/N) for a bit." Chanwoo said, making you flinch. You bit your lip and clenched your fists in anger, trying your hardest not to let out a scream. You silently stood up and walked to his office.

You felt your frustration build up again when you saw the door. You grabbed it and walked in. Once you did, you didn't even bother to look at him, you just stared at the wall.
"What." you said bitterly.
"Hey....." he said softly. You frowned.
"Can we.....talk? Please, just for five minutes. I just need you to listen to me." you heard Jinhwan say. You closed your eyes and forced yourself to turn to him. When you finally opened them and saw his face, You wanted to look away so bad, but at the same time you didn't. You crossed your arms.
"Look, I know you're mad at me, but I need you to know what really happened. It wasn't entirely my fault." he said. That was you got furious.

"Oh wow, isn't that new? I need to know that you aren't the bad guy in this situation? So what you did wasn't wrong, is that right?" you sarcastically asked.
"Hey, that's not what I said-"
"No, no. Don't give me that, it wasn't entirely your fault? You don't think any of this is your fault at all, do you? I'm the one overreacting, huh? I'm the one who was giving you a hard time." you said, scoffing.
"I never said that! I do think that this is my fault, I'm just saying-" he stopped himself with a sigh and closed his eyes with his brows furrowing.
"Wait, wait. I'm sorry, that really wasn't what I was trying to say. I didn't mean for it to come out sounding like that." He said softly.
"My mother-"
"Look, Jinhwan. Your mother might've been the one who changed you, but that shouldn't have even happened. You are your own person. You make your own decisions. I just can't believe you decided to listen to your mother when she told you that you should start acting like a total a** hole to me. I thought you would've been smarter. I thought you would've been more reliable, but you weren't." you spat. Jinhwan didn't say anything this time. He just stared at the floor guiltily.

You felt your heart throb. Oh, great. Was this when you were going to suddenly start crying? You looked at him. He had a tight grip on his pen.
"I just......." you started softly as you looked around. His hand caught your eye. He was still wearing the ring. You sighed.
"I don't know." you said sadly before walking out. When you went outside, the cold air hit you and you felt less suffocated. You took a deep breath and the ache in your throat went away. Everyone was gone to run their lap. Chanwoo walked up to you and gave you a squeeze on the shoulder.
"Stay strong, Noona." he said with a sympathetic smile. You looked at him and smiled slightly.
"Thanks, Chanwoo."

~~time skip~~

After school, you stayed at the roof. You just sat there and watched everyone below you. You watched as the people slowly left the school until there was only a couple of people left. That was when you saw him. He appeared so suddenly out of nowhere. You wanted to look away, but you couldn't this time. He looked hesitant. He would walk a few steps toward a direction, but stop there and looked as if he wanted to go back. His head whipped around left and right repeatedly. He was probably looking for Sooyoung. You watched as he took out his phone and brought it to his ear. That was when you looked away. You didn't want to see his smiling expression as he talked to her.

You fiddled with your hands and sighed until there was a sudden vibration from somewhere in your backpack. You took out your phone and winced when you saw who it was. Jinhwan was calling you. You looked at the screen sadly before leaving it next to you on the bench. You didn't have the courage to answer it, but you didn't have the strength to decline. So you just left it on vibrate until it stopped. You found yourself bringing your eyes to Jinhwan again. He was looking at his phone and stared at it for a minute before bringing his hand down. He turned and left.

Why were you feeling so miserable after that? You couldn't set yourself straight. You couldn't tell if you were really angry at him or if you were just trying to be. You wanted to try to listen to him because something in your head told you that something would change, even if it was a little bit, if only you just sat down and listened to what he really wanted to say, but whenever you saw him in person, the only thing you wanted to do was yell at him. For everything you had to go through because of him and Sooyoung. You looked down at your hand and felt your heart ache again. Somehow, the ring stayed on your finger, and you had a feeling that it was going to stay there for a while.