Chapter 56

Author's Note: Hey, everybody!! I'm back and I brought a really long chapter with me! Once again, for the ones who are still here, thank you so so much for your patience, I know my updates take absolutely forever. 🥺🙏Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this new chapter!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"200? Shock."

WIth a loud crack, your chest raised into the air and fell back down onto the bed. Jinhwan's entire body flinched violently and his hands immediately shot up to cover his ears. The doctor checked the heart monitor before turning his head to the nurse.
"One more time, 360." he said immediately. Jinhwan's eyes widened.
"Sh-She's not waking up, A-Ara, she's not waking up, th-the defibrillator didn't work, why didn't it work, what if she-" Jinhwan cut himself off with a small cry when there was another loud crack from the defibrillator. Again, your chest rose up into the air and fell back down onto the bed, limp. Jinhwan didn't bother to look and he shut his eyes tightly, tears still streaming down his face and hands still covering his ears. Please work, please work, please wake up this time. Jinhwan prayed with all his mind and soul.

"Again. 400."

Jinhwan's heart stopped when he heard the doctor speak again. The second time didn't work. You didn't wake up. Jinhwan bit his lip to try and restrain the new flurry of sobs that were threatening to leave his lips. He only shook his head and trembled, a huge wave of fear washing over him.
"L-Let's go. Jinhwan, let's leave." Ara said as her voice cracked. She grabbed Jinhwan's arm and escorted him out of the hospital room.

As soon as they sat down on the waiting bench, Jinhwan completely broke apart into a fit of tears.
"I couldn't save her, Ara." he sobbed. "It's all my fault."
"Hey, don't talk like that......don't lose hope in her." Ara said shakily.
"I-I'm so freaking scared that I'll lose her. What if I never get to tell her that I'm sorry? Wh-What if I never get to apologize?" Jinhwan cried.

"Jinhwan, you have to know that this isn't your fault." Ara spoke.
"But it is! I told (Y/N) so many times that I would protect her, but here she is! I promised Bobby so many times that I would take care of her, but here she is! Just before we left the house three days ago Bobby told her to stay close to me so that I could make sure she would come back home safely, but here she is dying at the hospital! This is all because of me!" Jinhwan sobbed.
"You know there's way more to it than that, what about Sooyoung? Is none of this her fault?" Ara asked.
"The only reason why Sooyoung got involved with (Y/N) in the first place was because of me! I'm telling you, if (Y/N) never met me, none of this would've happened to her!" he cried.

"Jinhwan, even if she never met you, Sooyoung was still bound to harass (Y/N). Our first encounter with her was when basketball unit started, she laughed behind her back about her height. She would have still hurt her, but you wouldn't have been there to help her." Ara explained.
"Ara, I tried so hard, but I haven't helped her with anything at all! It's the only reason why she's stuck in such a situation like this!" Jinhwan said, his voice breaking. Ara was going to reply until she realized she had nothing left to say. She knew her words wouldn't convince him enough and the only thing left she could do was hug and comfort him until the doctor came back out. Ara wiped her eyes and continued to rub Jinhwan's back.
"It hurts to know that I couldn't protect her, Ara." Jinhwan let out as he buried his face into his hands. "It hurts so much."

Ara couldn't imagine what pain Jinhwan was feeling, the amount of guilt that he was going through was completely breaking him. Ara felt so apologetic and sorry every time she saw Jinhwan clutch his chest tightly, his lip quivering and letting out small hiccups that got caught in his throat. When she tried to put herself in his shoes, Ara found herself understanding why Jinhwan came to blame himself so easily. If Ara wasn't there when Chanwoo needed her most, she would probably blame herself too. There were many times when Chanwoo was sad and needed comfort from Ara. Only seeing him like that made Ara's chest ache. If Jinhwan was about to lose you knowing that he could have prevented the incident at the park from happening, what he was feeling was definitely ten times as worse.