Volterra

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

1810, Tuscany Italy

Years have passed since my change, 50 years to be more precise. Today I am 67 years old... I would have been married by now to some man my father chose with children and grandchildren. It's quite funny how different my life ended up being.

After my changing Carlisle changed my surname to his and we moved far away from London so no one would recognise me. It was hard leaving my father in London with the thought that I had died but it was what must have been done. If anyone found out about what Carlisle had done we both would have been in deep trouble.

The first 30 years after my change must have been the most painful and challenging of them all. Every time I walked by something with blood flowing through it my predator sense would activate making me anything but the innocent girl everyone would think I was. I am so grateful to Carlisle for being so patient with me, he has really become the brother he would tell anyone that would ask about our relations.

At this moment I am sitting in our study room looking out into the beautiful city. Carlisle and I moved over here to Italy only a couple of days ago, we both agreed that it would be the safest for us if we moved out of England and into a different country for a change. It did sadden me though that I couldn't exactly leave the building unless it was cloudy or I had some sort of shielding.

But it doesn't bother me that much for I was used to it by now anyway, it also gave me the chance to go over my studies. Carlisle had gifted me with some books about medicine so that in the near future I could help him with his patients as a nurse. I also have been trying to tame my gift that was only growing each year that I lived as a vampire. After some time I realized that my abilities have been influenced by my emotions. I try to keep my emotions as steady as possible but it's not exactly easy at every moment.

I look away from the crowded streets when I hear Carlisle walk into the study room. I get out of my seat and walk over to him smiling.

"So? How was it?" The moment we arrived at the city we were informed that the city was under the power of the Volturi Coven. The Volturi are the largest and most powerful coven of vampires. They enforce the laws of the vampire world, they are the equivalent of royalty in the vampire world. When they heard about our arrival they sent a letter wanting to speak to the person in charge. Carlisle wasn't sure at the beginning if it was a good idea but I told him it would be better to just follow with what they want and speak to them. We didn't need them on our bad side after all.

Carlisle shows me a tight forced smile worrying me a bit.

"I spoke with them as they wished, but I wasn't expecting for Aro to use his ability on me." I furrow my brows confused at what he said. We weren't exactly informed too much about the Volturi so hearing that one of them possessed an ability came out with nothing but a surprise.

"What is his ability? Did he hurt you?" My eyes widened scared by what the answer may be. Carlisle was the last person that I had left. All of my family have died and the only person that was considered family was him. 

He shook his head smiling lightly ."No, nothing like that don't you worry. Aro's gift is to read any thought that has ever crossed my mind. He was able to do that with just one touch." My eyes widened even more.

"So? What is it that he found so interesting?" His eyes turned slightly serious like it was still hard for him to comprehend.

"You my dear, he found you interesting." I flinched back. Me? What would he want from me? I haven't done anything wrong, have I?

"What does he find interesting about me?"

"You're gifted my dear, he saw you practising your gift in my memories and said he would like to meet you." The way he said it made me feel like I was an object the Volturi wanted in possession... I look down at my hands scared. Why did I have to get such a gift? Why couldn't I have just been changed into a normal vampire with no special abilities? My train of thought was interrupted when I felt Carlisle's hands on mine. I look up to see him smiling at me lightly.

"No need to worry, as long as I am with you you're fine." I sigh nodding. I know I'm safe when with him, he has taken care of me since the moment he was my doctor. He has all of my trust in him.

"When do they wish for a meeting?"

"Tonight." I look out the window sighing.

"So be it."

♡♡♡♡♡

The only sound heard is the clicking of my shoes as Carlisle and I follow after a Volturi guard into the throne room. To say that I'm nervous would be an understatement. If I was still human my cheeks would have been flushed red from all the nerves.

We get close to the throne room and I see a massive wooden door that stands closed with beautiful cravings all over it. As the man opens the door we're met by three men sitting down in their thrones with who I suspect is Aro in the middle by the reaction he had by seeing us. Carlisle walks in first with me following after and standing as close to him as possible. My eyes wander around the room and the thing that stands out the most to me is the fact that every vampire in here has blood-red eyes. This just shows how much we differ from each other.

"Carlisle, I see you brought you meraviglioso friend." My eyes shot back to him as he stood up and stepped down towards us and held out his hand before speaking again. "May I?" 

I right away looked at Carlisle scared not knowing if it was a good idea. He also seems to be contemplating the idea but gives me a tight smile telling me to carry on. I walk towards Aro carefully and put my cold hand into his. His eyes and smile widen as he's looking through my brain. He's reading me like an open book and I'm letting him do it.

"Stupefacente!" He lets go of my hand and I go back to my place beside Carlisle with Aro's eyes never leaving me.

"My dear you're talent sure is powerful, what would you think about joining us." He opens his arms motioning towards the other two kings and the guards causing my eyes to widen shocked. I look toward Carlisle scared to see him with an identical expression. I couldn't join them, we differ in so many ways that it wouldn't be possible.

"I am grateful for the offer but I must decline. I have been traveling with Carlisle since the day of my changing and I don't wish for that to change." My answer made Aro's smile flattened surely not happy with the fact that I rejected his offer but I don't think there could be anything that would make me change my mind. Aro's smile comes back as if he has just come up with the best idea.

"Then stay with us for a while my dear, You and Carlisle should stay and see our way of living. You may be shocked by how appealing it may be." I looked over at Carlisle unsure. Neither one of us has even thought about staying with the Volturi while being in Italy. But it doesn't seem like they would just let us pass without even staying for some time. This was our safest option, we wouldn't be joining them but just temporarily staying with them. Carlisle sighed probably thinking the same as me and forced a tight smile towards the Volturi and replied.

"That would be lovely."