The Stories Behind Them

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

Bella and Jacob had arrived at the tribe's bonfire when it was already pitch black giving it a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

"Are you sure this is okay? I really hate being a party crasher." There was some uncertainty behind Bella's voice. Even though the girl spent quite some time on the reservation she still felt like an intruder.

"Technically, you're a council meeting crasher. See? The council leaders. Dad, Quil's grandpa, and Sue Clearwater. She took over for Harry when he died." Hearing this Bella stopped walking shaking her head knowing how important these meetings were.

"Okay, I should not be here." Jacob looked back at the girl with a reassuring smile.

"You're okay. I thought... I mean they thought it would be good for you to hear the histories."

"The histories? The tribe's histories? Aren't they secret?"

"We all got a role to play. And you're part of this. It's the first time Seth, Leah and Quill hear 'em, too. But you are the first outsider, ever." Still trying to comprehend what Jacob just said to her Bella looks down shaking her head.

"If I had known that, I would have, like... I don't know, dressed better?" Jacob's chuckle is followed by a voice Bella doesn't recognize. The two looked forward and saw a young-looking boy running in their direction who reminded Bella of Jacob when he was younger.

"Jake!" The boy said joyfully.

"Hey."

"It's about time you got here. Paul's been hoovering the grub, but I saved you some burgers."

"Good lookin' out, bro. Bella, this is Seth Clearwater, Leah's brother. The newest member of the pack." Bella took in the boy's appearance. He was much younger than Jacob, his baby face reminding her of Natalia. They both had that wide smile that would make everyone around them smile and that sparkle of innocence in their eyes.

"Hi."

"Newest. Bestest. Brightest." Seth said puffing his chest proudly.

"And slowest." As Jacob added that comment the two started to playfully wrestle with each other only to stop when Billy Black whistled for them to come over.

"Come on, your dad's about to start," Seth said as he ran first and took a seat by his sister with Jacob and Bella following shortly after and sitting down with the rest of the council around the fire.

"The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning. But we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shapeshifters, that transformed into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies. And protect our tribe. One day, our warriors came across a creature. It looked like a man. But it was hard like stone. And cold as ice. Our warriors' sharp teeth finally tore it apart. But only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone...and they were right. She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wide was no magical being...no special powers, but one... courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains. The cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near. And we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming. And we must all be ready." Billy's eyes traveled around the people that sat beside the fire and his eyes lingered on Bella.