Pretending

"Stop, stop stop, stop. STOP!" Samuel and George froze in place, turning their heads towards the director. Mr.Washington looked at them, rubbing his hands over his face. He took off his glasses and looked at the two sternly.

"You're still holding back. You need to let go and have fun with it! You two are married for gods sakes, let the audience feel the love radiating!" George pulled Samuel up from the dip he had been holding him in.

"We're 'keeping the gay in check' as you have told us several times to do," George replied sarcastically.

"Sir" Samuel added. His husband hadn't been a performer very long and had never worked with Washington before, so he wasn't very familiar with the ques and such. He had almost said 'Macbeth' once, resulting in Samuel clapping two hands over his mouth and looking him dead in the eye. Almost every cast member in the wings had looked at him in terror, and two had missed their ques. Samuel had to explain that his husband had almost said 'the word'.  Washington looked at the two in extreme exasperation.

"i don't care if the two of you start vomiting rainbows, you need to make it seem real. Got it?"

"Yes sir," they chirped in chorus. The music started again and they got in their positions. They were in the play "Pretending" about two men in the fifties, who were completely and utterly gay. They were young, and their town was starting to see the light. This was a dance earlier on in the play when their love was still secret, and they were trying to convince themselves to come out to the town, the rest of the world coming around to it. Samuel glanced up from the prop book he was pretending to read and parted his lips slightly in faux surprise. he closed it and hugged to the book to his chest.

"J-John! H-Hi!" he brushed a piece of hair behind his ear. George made his way across the stage casually and smiled softly.

"We're alone, sweetheart, you don't have to pretend." Samuel sighed in relief and wrapped his arms around Georges' neck, letting his head fall and his forehead lean against George's collarbone. 

"Good. I'm tired of pretending. I just want to be us." George nodded and put his arms on the small of Samuels back, squeezing slightly.

" I know baby. I know." Samuel looked up and leaned back, letting himself balance in George's arms and hang on his neck.

"Waking up to kiss you but nobody's there" George sang sweetly. He was swung up and backed away, reaching out

"the smell of your perfumes still stuck in the air," George continued. Samuel looked up as the lights on the stage started moving. George pulled back and stepped away.

"It's hard. It's hard, and I wanna tell you everything the words I never got to say the first time around. But I was there for you now." They started singing and dancing, Washington watching them closely. The outro played and they stopped, kissing at the last notes played. They pulled apart and leaned their foreheads against each other.

"I think I'm done pretending," Samuel whispered. washington applauded loudly. 

"that's what I'm talking about!" Samuel laughed and blushed. george grinned proudly.

"Don't EVER  check the gay again!"