Chapter 15: Separated Again

Chris's POV

When I arrive at my hotel, I consider calling Melissa but it's already late. I don't want to wake her if she's asleep.

I set my suitcase down and take off my jacket then slip into bed in the clothes I travelled in.
When my head hits the pillow I fall asleep almost immediately.

—the next day—

"Good to see you again Chris!" says Jerry Fitzpatrick.
"Glad to be back," I say while shaking his hand.
"Hope we aren't disturbing family business," he tells me with honesty.
"5 days is alright," I tell him. Sitting down at the long table with large windows looking out onto the rusty, busy streets of New York lined along the wall next to it.
"Okay!" says Jerry while clapping his hands. "Let's get started everyone!"

Melissa's POV

Chyler stayed over yesterday until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

We talked so much that my throat hurts now. I find a book on the shelf that I haven't read in a while and settle into a chair by the largest window in the apartment, desperate to get as close to outside as I can.

I decide to work on the baby's section of our room to keep myself busy for the day. The package of decorations and a few with clothes cans last night so I might as well.

I dig around my dresser for a bit until I find some suitable clothes for decorating. Grabbing my phone, I stick it in the speaker and choose a random playlist.

I start with opening the packages and looking at what are in them.

I don't get very far before I decide I overestimated how much I could complete by myself.
I shuffle onto the couch and take a couple deep breaths.

—couple hours later—

"Hi," says Chris over the phone.
"Hi," I say. "How's New York?"
"Bland. I miss my girls," he groans slightly.
"We miss you too."

"What have you been up to?" he asks.
"Well, i was going to try to set up her spot in her room, but I quickly discovered that was too much," I tell him.
"I wish I could've helped," he says. "Did you see if Chyler could put the crib together?"
"She said Nathan usually did that sort of stuff."
"I promise I'll try harder when I get back," he says.
"Uh Huh," I joke.
"I will!" he protests.
"Okay! I believe you!"
"Good, thank you."

Chris's POV

After finishing talking with Melissa, I open my laptop and start a new document.

Dear Little One (still without a name) (31 weeks),
I had to leave you and your mom to go to New York City. If something happens while I'm gone even though your mom insisted I go, I will never forgive myself for not being there. I can't believe after all this time we get to see your face in 7 weeks!
-your daddy.

I close my laptop and start getting ready for dinner with the writing team.

Might not update tomorrow, but we'll see later!
-E