Chapter 18: Not so Good News

Chris's POV

"When's the appointment?" I ask Melissa while I'm making breakfast in the kitchen.
"At noon."

"Alright, so do you want to set up Willow's bedroom area?" I ask while bringing breakfast into the living room where Melissa is sitting on the couch, reading.
"Sure," she says, looking up from her book.

After breakfast is done, we bring the crib into our bedroom and slide it into the corner.

"I put the two boxes of stuff I ordered in the corner in the dining room," Melissa says.

It takes me awhile to get the two heavy boxes into the room, but I manage.

Together, we decide where everything should go. And then in the end it looks great.

The white crib now has a mattress and light pink sheets. Above it there's a baby blue garland. I put together a dresser which holds some clothes. On top of the dresser there's a lamp and a fake cactus with stones that I think was accidentally ordered by Melissa.

"Once she's here, we'll have to maybe get a changing table," suggests Melissa.
"Yeah, but we could always use the bathroom counter," I point out, which leads to an eye roll from her.

We leave early for the appointment because Melissa wanted a donut.
"Hey!" she says. "I'm growing a human inside me, okay? I like donuts!"
"Gotcha! Gotcha! I wasn't judging!" I protest.
"Uh hum," she mumbles, her mouth full of food.

After she's done, "When Supergirl Season 4 is finished filming, are we going to live in LA or here?"
"I was thinking just LA, but we would have to get Willow a citizenship wouldn't we?" I say.
"I'm not sure."
"We can move around," I say.

Melissa's POV

I'm already nervous before we even get to the doctors, which is probably making the baby anxious, which isn't good.

"How're you all today?" asks the ultrasound tech.
"Good," I sat and Chris just nods.

The tech rubs the gel on my bump and a few seconds we see the baby on the screen.

After a minute or so, "the baby looks healthy, but she isn't in the ideal position for birth."
My heart rate picks up and Chris squeezes my shoulder lightly.

"What does that mean?" Chris asks, taking the words from my head.
"It could mean a C-section at the birth stage. But your due date isn't for more than a month, so she could shift around before then."

On our way out the tech gives us the print out of the ultrasound.
I hand it to Chris and he says, "please move around Willow."

I take his hand and we make it slowly to the car.

When we're close to home, I haven't said a word which isn't like me usually.

"Melissa Marie Benoist, you are a strong, brave and extraordinary woman. You will make it through whether or not the baby shifts into a better position. Okay?" Chris tells me, squeezing my hand and I nod, smiling at him.

I just wrote a really emo chapter that made me cry.
Thank you for 100+ votes!
-E