Chapter 31: Happy Life

Chris's POV

I can't go back home without Melissa there, so I stay by the water for two hours then go back into town for some coffee.

I walk up to the coffee shop, head down, sunglasses and hat on to not attract unwanted attention from strangers. When I arrive, I see her.

I back up slightly and move into the corner to observe her state. I expected her to be with someone else, but she looks worn and tired.

She gets out of line and heads towards the side to get a lid, to add milk and such. I walk up to her subtly.
"Melissa?" I say, casually coming up beside her.
"Chris," she whispers, but doesn't look at me whatsoever.
"What are you doing?" I ask, following her.
"Not her," she says. "In the car."

She gets in the drivers seat, so I go around the other side and slip into the car gracefully,
"Where were you?" I start.
"If you must know that desperately," she says, sipping her coffee. "I went to see a therapist."

"But-."
"No, you thought I was seeing someone else? Chris. You know I would never do that. I just had your baby. I would never even think once about leaving either one of you!"

"Why would you not tell me you were going to see a therapist?" I ask, turning my body towards her.
"You're already doing so much for Willow, and I haven't been there a lot for her."
"Yes. Yes you have been there for her."
"When?"

I take a deep breath, "you get up every night and give her her bottle. After she was born, you never let go of her. You read her stories and poems when she cries. Melissa, you have been there for Willow even if you don't feel like you have."

She leans over the middle of the car and kisses me. She places her hand on my neck and deepens the kiss.
"Melissa," I whisper against her mouth. "We're in a car on the street."
"I know," she says and kisses me quickly before she sits back down and starts driving away.

Melissa's POV

I'm glad Chris came to his senses in the end.

I sit on the couch with my legs folded up and Willow lays between them, sleeping peacefully.

Chris's mom is sleeping in our bed while she stays with us for two weeks, so we have to actually use our couch that's really a pull-out bed while she's here.

Chris is sitting at the dinner table, typing on his laptop while I watch a documentary on TV.

"Willow's car seat should be here in time to take her to the airport," Chris tells me from across the room.
"Okay, good," I say without looking up at him, my eyes not leaving the sleeping child on my legs.

I feel his gaze still on me.
"What?" I say.
"You're beautiful," he says, then looks away.

I touch Willow's light brown hair with my palm and smile.

This is a happy life.

I told y'all it would be okay. I would never hurt my loves.
-E