Chapter 23: Melissa Meets Willow

Melissa's POV

After laying in bed for almost 24 hours, they bring a wheelchair in.

"Hi, Melissa. Would you like to go see your daughter?" asks the nurse.
I nod, smiling and Chris helps me into the chair. Following a nurse down the hallway and around corners I'm full of happiness and excitement.

"She's in here," says the nurse opening a door and leading us inside.
At first glance, I see she has my face with a little bit of the same colour hair as Chris.
"She's beautiful," I whisper.

After the nurse leaves, Chris speaks, "when I was here earlier there were a lot more wires on her."
"That's good at least," I say, my eyes not leaving her.

We stand next to the bed she lies in for a while before a doctor comes in.
"Hello. I have some updates on Willow's progress. She's doing really well with the treatment. We estimate she'll be able to leave in 8-10 days."
"Alright," I say, my focus leading back to my daughter.

Just then, he eyes flutter open and she looks over in Chris's and my direction.
"Look at those eyes," Chris whispers by my ear in awe.
"Like her dads," I say.

Chris's POV

We whisper our goodbyes to Willow for the night and head back to the room.

Around 11pm a nurse comes in with Melissa's medicine and some food.
"Thank you," Melissa says, taking the food and the medicine.

After eating, she sets down her book and rests her head on the pillow.
"Good night," she whispers to me.
"Good night, love."

Once she's asleep I migrate over to the couch across from her bed. I find a pillow and blanket and drift off to sleep myself.

Melissa's POV

When I wake the next morning, I see Chris sleeping on the couch in front of my bed.

The nurse quietly brings my food and medicine in, smiling or superseding a laugh at the sight of him sleeping on a couch that's way too small for him.
"Thanks," I say.

When I eat, I watch Chris slowly waking up.
"Good morning sleepy head," I say.
"Good morning beautiful," he moans with a smile.

After he's awake I ask the questions I've been wondering for awhile now.
"Did you sign the birth certificate?" I ask him, as he's putting on new pants he pulled out from the suitcase.
"Yes," he says, looking up at me.

"We didn't agree on a middle name."
"After what you went through, it was crystal clear to me what her middle name should be," he tells me.
"Really?"
"Willow Marie Benoist-Wood," he says, walking up to my bed and sitting down on the end.

"I was going to call her Willow Charlotte, after your middle name, Charles."
He laughs a little and covers his mouth with his hands when he whispers, "maybe next time."

^^^ Chris is already thinking about their next child lol.
Hope y'all enjoyed!!
-E