Chapter 38: Hopefully Not

Melissa's POV

Something is up with me.

Willow is five months old now, so it couldn't be any after pregnancy related things.
I decide to set up a doctors appointment for later today.

"I have a doctors appointment at two," I tell Chris who is eating cereal in the kitchen while I feed Willow her bottle on the couch.
"What for?" asks Chris.
"I haven't been feeling well," I say.

He looks up. "It's not. You're not-."
I glance over at him. The thought never exactly occured to me until now. I wonder if I could be. "I don't know," I say. "I don't know."

He sets his bowl of cereal down and walks over to me. "I didn't realize you hadn't thought that was a possibility yet. You hadn't used to set random doctors appointments before Willow. So I was just thinking, could it be?"
"Maybe," I whisper, looking back down at my daughter.

When Chris walks back to finish his cereal, I put my hand on my stomach and take a deep breath.
"Melissa," Chris says from the kitchen. "I don't think you are, okay?"

Willow finishes her bottle, so I pick her up, push the pillow she was laying on to the side and walk into the kitchen.
"You wouldn't be mad if I was, would you?" I ask him as I put the bottle in the sink.
He takes a deep breath and says, "no. Of course not."

I want to believe that he would be okay with it, but he doesn't seem so sure.

I leave the kitchen and go into the bedroom to put Willow to bed for her 11:30 am nap. I lay her down in her bed and wrap her a white fleece blanket with pink sheeps on it. I switch the lights off and flop down on the bed.

Chris's POV

Melissa shut herself in the bedroom after putting Willow down for her nap.

I think she's angry with me for sounding like I wasn't sure about having another baby. Which I'm not. We just had Willow, Melissa is still filming Supergirl, and more. We're not ready for another child.

I finish my brunch and open the door to the bedroom. Darkness floods my eyes and I spot Willow's feet in the light of her night light.

"Melissa," I whisper into the darkness.
"What," she says.
"I'm sorry. I promise that if you're actually pregnant I will love the baby as much as I love you and Willow."
"I'm sorry too. I know you don't want this Chris, you don't have to pretend. I know. I don't want this either."
"Mel-," I start.

"I need to leave in thirty minutes," she says and I hear her move off the bed.
I leave the room and go wait in the kitchen. I put my elbows on the counter and place my head in my hands.

She's not pregnant again, I tell myself. We don't have any more pregnancy tests in the apartment, so we can't know now anyways.

I take a deep breath and get myself a glass of water.

suspense...
-E