Chapter 24: Holding Willow

Chris's POV

I miss my bed.

The people at the hospital were nice enough to find me a bigger couch to sleep on, but I'm still not sleeping very well.

After being at the hospital for 4 days, the doctors said that Willow is doing good enough that we will be able to take her home in 5 days. They also informed us that she will be moved into our room in a couple hours.

I know Melissa is very excited, but she's still tired and recovering.

"I'm going to go back to the apartment and get some stuff. Okay?" I tell Melissa.
"Alright. I'll be fine," she says.
I kiss her, then grab my coat and slip on my shoes. Walking down hospital hallways is weird and awkward. Even though I've somewhat gotten used to it, you'll always stand out here if you're not wearing a nurse or doctor uniform.

I duck my head low and the way to my car, trying not to attract attention to myself.

When I get to the apartment, I run my hand along the counter of the kitchen and little bit of dust collects on my finger tips.

I dig a suitcase out of the closet and pack clean clothes for me and an outfit or two for Melissa since I already brought her lots of pyjamas.
I then rummage through the cupboards and try to find some good snacks, but I come to the conclusion that a grocery store run is needed.

I finished up with the suitcase, adding some things for Willow then I head out the door.

I knew people would recognize me at the grocery store. I take a picture with one person, and luckily they don't ask any questions.

I grab some good snacks and go to the check out.
"Hey, you're Chris Wood. Right?" the cashier asks me.
"Yes, I am."
"Wow, oh my goodness" she says, covering her mouth with one hand and sliding some chips through the check out, "I'm a huge fan of your work."
"Thank you," I say, smiling.
When she finishes, I Thank her again and head back to the hospital.

Melissa's POV

A couple hours after Chris came back with clothes and doctors and nurses alike start filing in. Pumps, wires and more in their hands. The last one through, pushes through the bed with my sweet angel in it.

After a few of them leave, one nurse asks if I would like to hold Willow.
I nod immediately saying, "yes."

She goes over and picks up Willow, then drags her pump behind her as she walks.
"Here she is," she says, gently placing my daughter in my arms.
Chris comes up beside me, "look at her."
"She's gorgeous," I whisper, moving my palm along the little hair she has already.

When I've held her for awhile, Chris sits and the nurse helps put Willow in his arms.
"I'll be back in 5 minutes," says the nurse and leaves us in the room.

We sit in silence of our little girls gentle breaths and the faint noise that the pump makes until the nurse comes back.

My thoughts never leaving the fact that it's not just Chris and I anymore.

Hope y'all enjoyed!
-E