Chapter 71: Moving Day

Melissa's POV

It's moving day.

I'm leaving the apartment in an hour with Willow and it'll be the last time I see it for who knows how long.

Chris doesn't want me to be doing anything since I'm pregnant. Which is fine, but like I told Chris, I want to be doing something to help out.

"Willow!" I yell from the front door. "I'm leaving now!"

In a second, she comes sliding around the corner in her sicks with all of her favourite toys and dolls stuffed into a bag or in her hands.

"Here are your boots," I say as I put the boots in front of her. Yes. I know it's September and we live in Los Angeles, but I didn't want to have to carry a bunch of shoes to the new house when she could just wear the biggest shoes.

"I'm ready!" she exclaims as she stomps her feet.

"Alright. Say goodbye to the apartment," I tell her.

"Goodbye apartment!" she says in her two year old way.

We head out the door, locking it behind us. Chris is already at the house and has been since early this morning.

Chris's POV

While I've been at the house all morning, people have been coming in and out constantly. Whether they are bringing boxes in or setting up something is unclear.

Around noon, Melissa arrives with Willow.

"Hey," she says. "How's it going here?"

"Grand," I say., looking around dramatically.

The moving truck guy comes up to me. "All the boxes are unloaded, if you could sign here." He shows me where to sign. I quickly scribble my signature.

"Thank you," I say.

"Who else is still here?" Melissa asks once the guy leaves.

"No one. The internet people left about an hour ago."

"So, I'll start unpacking upstairs," she suggests, lifting Willow into her arms. "If you could maybe put together Willow's bed?"

I stare at her for a second, lost in thought. I want to marry this woman.

"Chris?" she asks.

"Yeah?" I wake up from my other-world.

"You got it?"

"Yeah." I start up the stairs to Willow's room.

What if she doesn't want that? I can almost here her, "we won't have time to have a nice wedding. We have two kids." And it's true, but we don't need anything fancy, at least I don't think we do.

I start mindlessly putting the bed together at first, but then I realize I need to actually pay attention to what I am doing to put it together.

Around 4 p.m. Melissa calls me into our room.

"Did you finish the bed yet?" she asks.
"No almost."
"Okay. Which drawer do you want in the bathroom?"

"Left side," I say.
"Alright."

I stay standing there for a second. "Melissa?"
"Yeah?" she says, turning to look at me.
"Would you ever mind to get married?" I ask.

She looks shocked by the question for a split second. "Of course, just not right now, in the future."
"Okay."

She glances at me again, then continues what she was working on.

"Okay," I say again before I leave the room.