Chapter 48: Melissa's Birthday

Chris's POV

A couple weeks ago Jerry asks me to come back to Atlanta, but I politely refuse because I would be missing Melissa's birthday. Which is today.

A few days ago she told me to not do anything big and I respected that. I made a cake and got her a book that she has been looking for for awhile. Willow also made somewhat of a card which will definitely win over Melissa's heart.

I carefully get out of bed, pick Willow out of her crib and we quietly go into the kitchen to make Melissa breakfast in bed.

I start the pancakes while Willow sits on the island stools, eating her favourite cereal.

"Da!" she says.
"Yes?" I say, turning to face her.
She pushes her empty bowl towards me.
"All done?"
She nods.

I get another bowl out of the cabinet and then the strawberries out of the fridge. I slide the bowl and strawberries over to Willow and then pass her a plastic knife. I show her an example of how to do it and then she grabs the plastic blue knife from my hand and cuts the second strawberry very sloppily.
"Good job Lo."

Melissa's POV

I told Chris not to do anything big for my birthday and I really hope he listens.

When I wake, I hear Chris talking to Willow in the kitchen with the sound of pancakes being flopped onto a plate.
I decide to stay in bed and wait.

About twenty minutes later, Chris comes in holding a tray with Willow close behind him.
"Happy birthday birthday girl," Chris says as he hands me a tray of delicious looking breakfast foods.
"Thank you."

"Hey Lo, why don't you give mommy your beautiful card?"
Willow comes up from behind Chris and reaches her card out to me. I open it gently. "Willow, this is gorgeous. Thank you sweetheart."

She smiles, her cheeks reddening and runs over to her crib to play with her toys.

Chris's POV

For the morning, we sit around the apartment cleaning, eating, reading. The usual. For lunch we go to Melissa's favourite coffee shop for coffees and sandwiches.

Willow whines about the fact that we are not going to her favourite place to eat and I try to tell her that it's her moms birthday, therefore it's up to her mom. But then again, I don't expect my one and a half year old to understand that.

When it's time for dinner, Willow is passed out on the couch, so we order some pizza and watch Melissa's favourite show, that I don't love as much as her. At all. Instead of watching and trying to understand the show, I watch Melissa watch the show. Trust me, it's more entertaining.

I put Willow to bed at eight and then Melissa falls asleep while reading on the couch.

"Hey," I whisper, taking the book from her hands. "Time for bed birthday girl."

Hope y'all enjoyed. Thanks for 10k reads!
-E