Chapter 53: Chris's Thirty-Third Birthday

Melissa's POV

Today is Chris's birthday.

The year Willow was born we had just gotten out of the hospital. We were so swept away in the 'new parents' thing that we nearly forgot Chris's birthday altogether. I had gone out and bought a decent looking cake from a small store down the street because I could barely walk in the first place.

I'm sitting on the couch, reading while Willow lays on the floor playing with her dolls.

Luckily, after a week or two Willow dropped the 'baby sister' act. I'm not done filming Supergirl Season 6 just yet. There's still probably another two or so months left of filming, interviews and other show-related stuff that I'll have to do. And then, if Chris is ready, another child will be more of a concern.

Chris comes out of the bedroom, his hair tousled from restless sleep I assume.

"Happy Birthday," I say as he comes behind me, kissing my neck gently.
"Thank you, love."

"Willow, can you say happy birthday?" I ask.
She turns around to look at her dad. "Happy Birthday Dadda."
"Thank you, Willow Marie," he says.

"There's waffles leftover under those plates," I tell him.
"Willow left some for her dad?" He laughs.
"I made extra," I whisper.
"Hmm."

"What do you want to do today?" I ask.
"Well, I would like some coffee from downtown and then I can drive you to set."
"Will you stay at set?"
"Would you like me to?" he asks.
"It's your birthday," I say, then look back down at my book.

Chris's POV

Willow and I hang around set for awhile, but she gets hungry after awhile. I decide to take her out for dinner. Just the two of us.

"What do you want for dinner Willow?" I ask her after we sit down at a table.
She holds up the menu and points at the same thing she gets every time we come here.
"Okay, whatever you want sweetheart."

When we finish dinner, it's almost seven at night. Melissa said she will hopefully be done by nine.

"Are you tired Lo?" I ask.
"A little."

We leave the restaurant and I take her back to the apartment. I turn on the TV and she snuggles up against me.

I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my birthday then with my daughter.

Melissa shakes me awake just after ten. I look down to see that Willow is no longer sleeping next to me.
"Don't worry," she says. "I took a picture. It was too sweet not to."

I smile. "How did you get home?"
"Chyler drove me."

I push myself off the couch. She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me in for a hug.

"Happy Birthday, love," she whispers in my ear. "Thank you for everything you do. You mean the world to me."
I push away, but keep my arms around her.
"I love you," I say. "Thank you for the waffles this morning."

She laughs and I watch as her smile comes and goes within seconds.

I wish I would've written longer chapters.
-E
p.s. i wrote this on December 9th 2018:))