Chapter 52: Willow's Second Birthday

Chris's POV

I can't believe my little girl is turning two today. It seems like just yesterday I was standing next to her in the plastic bed and sleeping on a hospital couch for almost two weeks.

Willow's only request on her birthday was to take her to a toy store. Melissa thought is was pretty funny. At least it's better than when she asked for a baby sister a week ago. Melissa didn't exactly think that was entirely funny.

"Happy birthday Willow Marie!" Melissa and I sing together when Willow wakes up in the morning.
She smiles and stretches her arms out so we'll take her out of bed.

"Are you ready for the day miss Lo?" I ask as I set her on the floor.
"Yeah," She says and then runs out of the room.

Melissa looks over at me. "We have a two year old."
"I know. It's crazy."

"I feel like she was just born yesterday and we were staring at her through a plastic barrier."
"That's what i was just think about," I say.

Melissa's POV

Willow really wanted to go to the toy store for her birthday. I don't exactly know if that means she going to make us stay there for the whole day or what.

"How long do you think she wants to stay at this toy store?" I ask Chris while Willow is watching her morning cartoons in the living room.
"I have no clue, it's not like she doesn't already have lots of toys," he points out.
"Yeah, I guess."

"Maybe she's planning on getting rid of her old toys that she doesn't use anymore."
"I wasn't going to get rid of any of her toys. You know...just in case," I say.

Chris and I haven't really talked about having another child, but I know it's been on both of our minds lately with the Supergirl series finale coming up soon.

"Yeah," he says. "Just in case."
I smile. He knows what I mean without me even having to say it.

Chris's POV

Surprisingly Willow didn't make us stay at the toy store for very long. She picked out a couple toys she likes, including something else.

"For baby sister," she told Melissa and I.
"Okay. Okay, we'll get it," Melissa said hesitantly.

When I asked what she wanted for dinner, she said that she wanted me to make her some spaghetti.

"Willow! Spaghetti is ready birthday girl!" I call from the kitchen.
She comes running out from the bedroom with her new doll in her hands.

"Willow, you can't eat with the doll. You don't want to spill any sauce on her," I tell her.
"Okay. Stay her baby sister," she says and sets the doll on the carpet.

Melissa and I exchange a glance quickly before Willow comes running into the kitchen to collect her birthday dinner of choice.

"Happy birthday baby girl," I say when I hand the plate to her.