Chapter 61: Ordinary Day

Chris's POV

It's Thursday. Melissa is seventeen weeks pregnant. In two weeks we are going to the doctors to find out the gender. Yes, I still think it is a boy.

Another thing that is currently happening is Melissa's lack of sleep during this pregnancy.
"Have you slept at all this week?" I asked her.
"Yes."
"How much?"
"A couple hours here and there," she had told me.

When I offered to go get her sleeping medication, she refused, saying that it would be bad for the baby. Which is true. Not that I didn't believe her, but I did look it up. Sleeping medication isn't good for developing babies.

Melissa's POV

I haven't been sleeping well. Last night I slept for maybe an hour and half before Willow started crying because of a nightmare she had had. And then I knew there was no way that I was ever getting back to sleep.

When I was pregnant with Willow I was always tired. I never went to bed late and never woke up too early.

This time has been much different.

I'm currently sitting at the table eating a salad I made myself for lunch. Chris took Willow out for a walk because she was getting a little too hyper. She was jumping around, throwing toys, yelling, until both Chris and I were about to scream.

I haven't been leaving the apartment a lot lately because I don't want people talking in the internet or in real life about my pregnancy.

And I'm decently good at covering any suspicions up. On Instagram am I post old pictures of me or Chris or Willow.

When I did a couple interviews three weeks ago, I wore a really baggy dress and a bunch of people were very suspicious, but I posted a picture a couple days later, where I was clearly not pregnant.

Chris comes home with Willow around 3pm.
"How was the walk?" I ask.
"Great!" Willow says as she jumps up and down.

Chris sits next to me on the couch. "I'm not sure it helped at all."
"At least you tried," I say as I pat him on the back lightly.

"Hmm," he groans. "How's little one?"
I put my hand on my little bump. "Good, as far as I can tell."
"Then that's probably pretty good."

Chris's POV

Willow goes to sleep around nine. I get in my pajamas and join Melissa in the balcony that's just outside our room.

"Does it look different than it did yesterday night?" I ask.
"The world is ever-changing," she tells me.

I look out into the distance and try to see the difference that she sees out there. It looks the same to me. The dark sky with clouds scattered all over it. The mountains in the far distance, black now from the lack of light. The city is a-glow, artificial lights, all colours indicate life out there, even though I don't see any humans.

"Do you see it now?" she whispers.
"No," I say, looking over at her. "But I trust it's there because you see it."

There will be around ninety chapters in total, I'm almost done writing and it's making me a little sad. I've been writing this for almost five months.
—E