Chapter 49: Hospital Again

Melissa's POV

It's January 19th 2021.
My little baby girl is sick.
Or something. Something is wrong.

Last night around 11 pm, while I was reading in bed in the silence except for the slow breathing of Chris and Willow. Suddenly I could only hear Chris. I jumped out of bed and ran over to her.

She was still breathing, but they weren't steady and she was gasping harshly.
I yelled for Chris and quickly we took Willow to the hospital as fast as we could. They got her into the emergency room and she was back into the state of when I first saw her. In a hospital bed, wires and tubes all over her. A pump moving her chest for her.

That's where she has been for the last few hours. It's now eight in the morning. Chris and I sitting in the waiting room of the crowded Vancouver hospital.

"Melissa," Chris whispers.
He's looking down at the magazine page that he hasn't flipped in the past thirty minutes.

"This is hard for the both of us," he finally says, looking up. "She was fine! Running around, talking, laughing, and now, she's just..."
I put my hand on his knee. "I know."

Chris's POV

The doctors won't let Melissa or me see her even after we've been here for ten hours almost. I start feeling antsy and uncomfortable.

"I'm going," I tell Melissa.
"Going where?"
"Somewhere. I just have to get out of this place. Text me if anything changes with Willow."
She nods, but doesn't say anything.

I put on my hat and sunglasses and leave the hospital.

I go to my favourite place in Vancouver. The waterfront.
I sit by the water and listen to the waves crash against the rocks. Water doesn't have any emotions. Even though it's not getting past the rocks, the water keeps coming back. I consider for a second about the fact that I could never be like water. I could never keep coming back to the same difficulty willingly.

After about an hour of me sitting in the cold, Melissa texts me saying that they're letting her see Willow now. I quickly get back in the car and drive back to the hospital.

Melissa's POV

The nurse leads me to the room where Willow is. Once the nurse leaves, I rush to Willow's bedside.

"Willow," I say softly as I put her hand in mine.
"Momma," she says.
"How're you feeling?"
"Good."
She's on a regular hospital bed, in a hospital gown, wires still all over her, but no pump.

"It's going to be okay sweetheart. Everything is fine."

Chris comes in a couple minutes later.
"Willow Marie," he says as he points his finger at her. "You scared me, little one."
"Sorry dadda." She smiles and Chris kisses her forehead lightly.

"I love you," he whispers.

Hope y'all enjoyed!
-E