Chapter 22: Willow Marie

Chris's POV

I shut the door behind me and I examine the room. There's two doctors talking in the corner. One pointing at an iPad and the other one, nodding.
They see me, "Mr. Wood. Hello."
"Hello," I say.

I  glance over at my daughter. It's a sight. She's in the plastic covered bed with with wires hooked up to her, one leading out to a pump which seems to be moving her lungs for her.

"Wha-" I start.
"First things first. Could you please sign her birth certificate," says the doctor, handing me a clipboard with a pen and a birth certificate.
I nod, gesturing over to my child, taking the clipboard.

"When the doctors got her, she wasn't breathing will. They were quick, sharp breaths, that would not keep her alive. It's honestly a miracle her heart didn't fail right away," the doctor tells me.

I stand there taking it in for a couple minutes.
After, I remember to kill out the birth certificate. Melissa and I never agreed on a middle name, but after today without a doubt I write, Willow Marie Benoist-Wood.

I hand it back to one of the doctors and walk over to her.
"Willow" says one of the doctors, "that's a beautiful name."

Melissa's POV

I want to get up and walk, but whenever I ask they just say I can't, that I'm not physically ready to get up yet.

I've been laying here for I don't know how long when a nurse comes in and pulls a chair up next to my bed.
"Hello, Melissa. We have control over the knowledge of what has happened to your daughter," says the nurse. "When she was born, we immediately saw that her breathing was wrong. The breaths she was taking were fast and harsh. We quickly got her hooked up to the correct machines, so her breathing is now controlled by the machines. After awhile though, her body will match the machines movements and she will be able to breath by herself, if all goes well."

"How long?" I ask.
"We are not sure about how long it will take."
"Is there an estimate?" I press.
"Anywhere from days to months," she replies.

How did this happen? To my child.

I ask for a phone, and they do hand me one.
I call my parents, the Chris's and after 2 hours of talking on the phone, I set it down.

I lower my bed to get some rest and immediately fall asleep.

Chris's POV

The doctors left an hour ago, but I found a chair and I haven't moved from Willow's side since.

I wish this didn't happen to her. She looks so innocent lying under the plastic with wires and pumps hooked up to her.

After awhile I decide to go and check to see if I can see Melissa.
They tell me I can, so I find the room number they told me and step into the room.

"Melissa," I whisper and rush up to her.
"Willow," she says against my lips.
"She's fine baby," I tell her.
"You saw her?"
"Yes. She's gorgeous. Just like her mom," I say.

Hope y'all enjoyed!!
-E