My Life Coach

Kim (Y/N)

Mrs. Lin

xx-xx-xxxx

English 101

|

You rubbed your eyes, leaning backwards in your chair. You took a deep breath, regaining your thoughts before you leaned towards your laptop and placed your fingers on the keyboard in front of.

Everyone has a someone they turn to in times of trouble. That person is someone that will offer their shoulder to you to cry on, give you advise when you need it, and help you through a rough patch in your life. The relationship this person has with you differs from person to person. It may be a best friend, teacher, family member, or even pet. When I met with this description, I immediately think of |

You groaned before backspacing over your progress. This paper was like pulling teeth. You could think of a single word that made you sound like you knew what you were doing. Not to mention, this paper counted for half your grade and if you didn't pull out a good paper, the A you worked so hard for would disappear. You took a quick drink of your water before setting back to your task.

Growing up in a household where seven different personalities are on display, I quickly became accustomed to |

"No, no, no," you muttered, aggressively pushing the backspace. You popped your neck and took another deep breath. You grabbed your assignment paper and read over what your paper was supposed to be about. You read it over and over again until you finally figured out what you could write about. You sat your paper down and went back to work, your fingers typing rapidly.

***

Kim (Y/N)

Mina Lin

xx-xx-xxxx

English 101

My Life Coach

We have all had someone to teach us something. Whether it was how to jump rope, walk, or find the function of x. Some has taught us more than others; some has taught us life lessons instead of math equations. But when I think of a teacher, I think of someone who's taught me something every day. I think of someone who's taught me lessons I can't read in a textbook. I think of someone who's gone out of their way to teach me how to become a better me and blossom into the young lady I am. I think of Kim Seokjin, my oldest brother.

To start, he's the one who taught me how to say no. Whenever my youngest brother, Jungkook, would come around and bother me as I played in my crib, Jin would always say no before telling Jungkook to play by himself. I soon caught on to the new word and would say no to everything, making our family hate him just for a little bit. He then began teaching me other little things to help our busy parents, like colors, animal sounds, and how to use the bathroom correctly.

When I was six, our parents were in a fatal car accident. They were on their way to the airport to catch a plane that would take them to the States for their business trip. Unfortunately, a drunk driver collided with their car, killing them both instantly. I wouldn't be told of this until almost a week later, but I remember seeing my brothers in pain while I had no clue why.

November 5th, 2009 marks the day where Kim Seokjin had to graduate from being just the caring older brother to the mom and dad of the household. He was only seventeen, but that didn't stop him. It was either take care of us or have us taken away. He decided to step up and become the parent of his seven younger siblings.

As a parent would do, Jin set out to continue the work our parents had been doing. While he was also juggling school work as a senior, he would go over his youngest siblings' homework, pack lunches for the next day of school, and tuck us into bed after he made sure our needs were fulfilled. I remember asking him to read my bedtime stories, to which he always accepted, no matter how sleep-deprived he was.

Jin taught me my manners, how to dress appropriately and not like a child all the time, and how to cook when I didn't have a brother to assist me. He taught me how to not splurge, even if really, really, really wanted that new toy. By the time I was ten, I was a mannerly child. My brothers tell me about the compliments random strangers would give them about me regarding my mature personality.

As I started to grow older and get into more mature settings, Jin was there to teach me life's lessons, too. He was there when I had problems with a friend. He would listen to the whole story, before either saying I was wrong for my actions or the other person was and how I should confront them. He taught me how to talk to my teacher if I had a problem and how to stop being a push-over around the house and at school. But those small lessons were nothing compared to what I learned sophomore year.

It was inevitable, honestly. Jin was in a happy relationship with his girlfriend. I knew that they were going to marry each other one day, but I thought that it would come later in the future and not as quickly as it had. I remember you coming home and announcing that the proposal went well. I was happy for you, of course, but I tucked away my pain as I prepared for your departure from our household.

What do you expect when you live with someone all sixteen years of your life? Of course, I was sad and angry. I wanted him to stay home and take care of my other brothers and I until I decided to move away. I guess I'm a little selfish of thinking this, but I didn't want to have the one person I trusted the most gone. He was the one I hid behind when the monsters came, the first one I would tell when I got a good grade on an assignment, and the first one I would complain to if something bad happened. I let him go, anyway, knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

I think he taught me what heartbreak was like. When you love someone so much and you stay with them for so long and they just get up and walk away. I always thought heartbreak had to do with a couple. I never knew that it could be because a sibling was moving down the road.

But Jin taught me that heartbreak always fades away. Even when he became busy with his wife, job, and now, small child, he still came over as often as he could. Most of the time, he would bring breakfast for us. Now, he brings in dinner whenever he gets the chance with my niece.

With all this said, I still look up to my oldest brother like a teacher. Sure, I'm still salty that he moved out, but I don't think anything could cause me to hate him. Jin's always been there for me and I believe that he'll continue being there through every moment. His busy life always comes to a halt when it comes to one of his siblings needed his assistance. One day, I hope to be like this toward my family and carry on Kim Seokjin's loving personality. So, who's my favorite teacher? Not my math teacher or my volleyball coach, but rather my big brother.

---