Student Council

one curse word :)

---

Even after the whole NHS elections ordeal, you decided that throwing your hat in the ring for STUCO would be a good idea. It'd look good for college and plus, maybe you could end the cycle of having the same people being voted for over and over again. Your best friend, the one that had shared in your anger at NHS, decided it wasn't best to run. You told her that you'd run for the both of you, to which she grinned and told you good luck – you'd need it.

It was the last week of school and your class was waiting for the bell to ring to signal the end of the last math class of your sophomore year. You were standing with a group friends when the subject of STUCO elections came up.

"I'm going to run," Ashlyn grinned, Gail agreeing happily.

"It'll look good later, so I think I'm going to run, too, so watch it," another classmate giggled, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

You stepped back away from the conversation but still kept listening in.

"Let's make an alliance," one of the guys stated. "I think we'll be able to vote for four people to represent, so why don't we all just vote for each other? Our own little alliance."

"She never said we could vote for four people, though," Ashlyn said.

"Yeah, what if we have to vote for three people?" hair-flipping girl added.

The boy shrugged. "If it's three people, I say we vote for me, Ashlyn, and Gail."

Hair-flipping girl's mouth gaped open. "Excuse me?"

You cleared your throat. "Hey, why don't we vote for people who actually qualified for the job?" You were running for historian, but were debating dropping out just from everyone talking about it. It was making you too anxious and you had other things to worry about.

Gail just rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but-"

Ashlyn sighed. "(Y/N) has a point." She looked at hair-flipper. "You're out of the alliance. It'll just be us three, then."

This isn't what I meant! You wanted to scream. But the bell rang and you just walked out, fuming like you had a week or so beforehand. When you came home, you didn't even bother telling your siblings about STUCO elections, thinking there wasn't even a point anymore. Instead of turning a letter into the teacher in charge stating why you thought you were fit for the job, you decided to just drop out of the race altogether. You would still run for representative, but you didn't see any reason to run for a position you knew you wouldn't be able to get. You figured your brothers would tell you to not give up, but at this point, you couldn't care less.

The next day at school, you told your teacher that you were dropping out of the race to be historian. She was sympathetic and asked you if you were sure, but you told her that you just didn't feel like it anymore. You told her you'd still run as a rep, though, and she gave you warm-hearted smile.

When election time came up on the last day of school for the year and all your classmates were sitting in the history classroom, Ashlyn sighed from the table in front of you. "Are you still running for historian?" she asked you. She had also said she was running for this position.

"I dropped out," you answered. (Y/Best/Friend/N) gave you an odd look and you just shrugged. "I uh, decided I needed to focus on schoolwork instead." It was a total lie, but you thought it sounded better than "you guys discouraged me when you started the whole alliance crap."

Ashlyn nodded. "I did, too, actually. I figured I had my plate full from being NHS treasurer, so I thought I shouldn't overload myself."

"Are you kidding me?!" you wanted to scream. "I dropped out partly because of you and you dropped out, too?!" Instead of banging your head on the table like you wanted to, you just pursed your lips to keep the angry comments at bay.