Future Plans

"I didn't know you played basketball," a voice chirped behind you. Startled, you whipped your head around to see your second oldest brother, leaning against a post holding up the patio's roof. His arms were crossed as he watched you bounce the basketball a few times with each hand.

"Well, I don't," you replied. "I just... I just wanted to get out of the house and blow off some steam, I guess."

Yoongi pushed himself off the post and began to walk over to you. You tossed the ball to him and he bounced it a few times before shooting at the goal in front of you. It swished, the ball falling through the net and bouncing to the ground below. "Playing always helped me when I was upset over school. Music did, too, but basketball was where I could physically let out my emotions."

"I know," you stated, recalling distant memories of being sent outside to tell him dinner was ready. "I remember one time I looked out the window one night and you were playing with tears in your eyes."

Yoongi shrugged, balancing all his weight on one foot. "Probably because of some girl drama or something. I really used to let things get to my head." He sighed, looking at the pool. It had been recently closed since the weather was getting colder as the days went on. It was early October, and the leaves were starting to descend to the earth and cover it in a dry, brown blanket. "Why are you out here?"

You sighed. "You know I've been thinking about college ever since middle school and now that I'm a junior... it just seems so real. I mean, I'm getting emails and letters in the mail from different universities asking me to attend. It just doesn't feel right."

Your brother hummed. "Well, I'm sure you'll choose the right place. It's not like you have no clue what college is like either. All seven of your brothers have attended some college of some sort and most of us have gone to different ones. If you need help, we can point you in the right direction."

"It's not choosing the college, Yoongi," you spoke up. "It's what I want to do." You looked up at the sky above that was painted with different hues of orange and pink, reflecting the sunset that was happening just beyond the trees.

"You're going to run the family business, simple as that," he remarked. He looked at you. "That's what's bugging you, isn't it? You don't know if you want to do that."

You bit your lip before nodding. "I mean, that'd be a great honor, but I always thought I belonged in the medical field. I never thought I'd be the owner of a huge company." You frowned. "I don't know. It just feels so close now and I don't even know what I want to do."

"You feel like it's crunch time, huh?" Yoongi tugged at a stray hair, tucking it behind his ear only for it to fly forward in the breeze once more. "Like you have five seconds left in the game and you're so close to tying with the other team, and half of you says you can do it, but the other half knows that there's no way."

"Or it's the tenth frame and the only way you'll get your average is if you strike out the rest of the game," you added. You kicked at a stray pebble. "I'm just worried that I won't make the right decision. I'm worried that I won't add up to what you guys have done."

Yoongi tsked. "And what have we done that's so great?"

You looked up, confused. "Well, Hoseok's going to be a doctor, Jin and Namjoon are going to help the business-"

"That's just three of us," Yoongi interrupted. "What am I going into?"

"Music?" You stated it like it was a question, unsure of what his point was.

"And Taehyung?"

"Art."

"And Jimin? Jungkook?" He raised his brow, implying something that you just weren't getting.

"They don't really know," you answered.

"Exactly. Only three of us are trying to make it big. The other four are going out on a limb, hoping it'll hold us up long enough to make to another," Yoongi concluded. "Look, you don't have to know what you want to do. You weren't old enough to experience Dad's lectures on money and careers. For the longest time, I was going to be a lawyer. I thought that being a lawyer was my calling in life." He rolled his eyes. "Don't get me wrong, Dad had the right idea, but I guess it's a father-son thing to want your child to be as great as you are. He wanted us to make it big, so there were only three options on the table: a lawyer, a doctor, or a business-man."

"I guess only Hoseok and Jin listened," you snickered.

Yoongi gave a short laugh. "Yeah, I guess. Only Hoseok really. Jin-hyung didn't want to run the company. He never told me exactly what he wanted to do – I think it was teaching – but I could tell he resented the thought of running the company. He used to fantasize about it when he was little, but when we hit high school, he wanted out. We'd talk about it at night when we were supposed to be asleep, and he'd always mention how he didn't want Dad's job." Yoongi closed his eyes, picturing those moments when they were so clueless about the future. "I think when they died, he knew it was the only thing he could do that would support his family since he was the oldest."

"Well, you and Jin told me that when I get older, I'll be in charge of the company. And that was all fine at first, but now that it's getting closer, I don't know if I see myself doing that," you continued.

"(Y/N/N), you don't have to run the business if you don't want to. I'm sure you could hand it off to Jin or Namjoon and they wouldn't bat an eye." He turned to you, a sympathetic look on his face. "Just do what makes you happy. When junior year rolled around, I knew being a lawyer wouldn't make me happy. But I knew music would, and I started to invest my time into that instead of being a defense attorney. You don't have to earn lots of money or have a huge net worth. I just want to see my little sister happy. That's it."

You nodded, at a loss of words. His words played on a loop in your mind as you tried to digest it. The future was so hazy and unsure to you when you tried to think about it. You hated how there wasn't a manual telling you what to do every second of your life and what to do when you faced certain situations. But you had seven older brothers that would help you whenever you needed it. "I want you to be happy, too."

Yoongi groaned. "Hey, this was my time to be sappy to you. Not the other way around." You giggled and began to walk toward the house. "And trust me, I am!" he shouted after you. You disappeared into the house, and he sighed, looking down at the old sneakers he was wearing. "In more ways than one, (Y/N), in more ways than one."

---

thank you guys so so much for 2mil on book one :')) you guys are literally the best uwu. what can we do to celebrate? i love you, cherubs <333