Elections

You had been inducted into the National Honor Society at your school during your sophomore year. With your perfect grades and good character, you were a great candidate and when you had been slipped an invite to the NHS lunch meeting, you were excited. You knew several of your brothers had been in this top-notch club and what it entailed. Your brothers had told you that it would be a good idea to join, for it would look great on college applications. So, when asked if you would join, you smiled and told them they'd have a new member.

Quite a few of your classmates joined with you. Once you had been inducted, you newcomers were filled in on the upcoming elections and how you sophomores could run to hold an office your coming junior year. You were told you'd have to give a speech on why you'd make a good secretary or treasurer, whatever you wanted to run for, and fill out an application stating what goals you'd want to fulfill and why you wanted to join NHS. You had talked with your friend who had joined with you about running for an office.

"What are you going to run for?" you asked your friend quietly as you ate lunch, not wanting others to overhear.

(Y/Best/Friend/N) shrugged. "I would love to run for that position that keeps up with the book – secretary? – but I know I won't get it."

You glanced around the lunch table to see if anyone was listening before asking her why. She just sighed and gave you a solemn look.

"All the teachers' kids are running. You know how things work around here, (Y/N). All the teachers' kids get everything, no questions asked," she frowned. "People like us get overlooked if a teacher's kid is doing the same thing we are."

You nodded, having had this conversation plenty of times. Though all your siblings had attended this school, you guys weren't elite or given special privileges like some. You thought that maybe you'd be given a little something extra like the others since all eight Kim siblings had paid tuition to go to this school. But after you guys had been trampled on several times to let the teachers' kids have the upper hand, you kind of gave up on that idea. "I agree. But it wouldn't hurt to try, I guess. Even though, I know they'll get it." You looked across the table to see the clique of girls whose parents worked at your school. You felt your blood boil.

(Y/Best/Friend/N) smiled at you. "Just know that you have my vote if you run, (Y/N/N). I know you can be a better office-holder than them."

You smiled back at her. "You have my vote, too."

So, you decided to run for treasurer, the one who kept up with the budget and money. You worked hard to make sure your application sounded prim and proper and you turned it in feeling great about yourself. But as you saw the teachers' kids turn in theirs, you and your friend could only hope you'd both pull out ahead. Next step was to write a speech encouraging people to vote for you because you'd make NHS better than what it already was. You sat in your room contemplating and racking your brain for the best words. You wanted to ask your brothers for help, but you decided not to. "This has to sound like it comes from me," you told yourself. "It has to sound sincere because if it doesn't, then they'll think I ask my siblings for help on everything and it won't look good." You stressed and stressed over your speech and finally, you thought you came up with something good. You read it over and over to know what it said so you wouldn't have your nose in your notecard the entire time, and when election day came, you and (Y/Best/Friend/N) just wished each other luck.

"I know Ivy and her boyfriend will vote for you," (Y/Best/Friend/N) murmured at break. "She'll vote for you because she knows you more than she knows Ashlyn. And she'll tell her boyfriend to vote for you, and he'll listen because he always does what she tells him to."