Baby Sister

"I want a baby sister."

Kim Marie turned to face her third oldest her son; her husband stopped feeding baby Jungkook who was straining to reach the spoon his dad held. Hoseok's mom pushed the power button on her laptop and gently closed it before standing. She walked over to her son who was waiting patiently for his mom to say something in agreement. "Let's go for a walk, Hobi."

The two walked out of the house. It was the dog days of summer and the two could see heat waves radiating off of the pavement in front of them. Hoseok was wearing a t-shirt passed down from the two oldest and some khaki Bermuda shorts that he felt were too constricting. A pair of mismatched flip flops were on his feet, one shoe from his own pair while the other was stolen from Namjoon. Back at home, Namjoon was furiously looking for the matching one, confused as to where it had gone.

"Why do you want a baby sister?" his mom asked, looking down at her son who held her hand. They came upon a crack in the sidewalk and Marie felt her son stop. She continued to hold his hand and watched as Hoseok squatted before jumping over the crack. He looked up at his mom with a huge smile.

"Did you see me jump, eomma?" he asked, his eyes squinting in the sunlight.

"Yes, I did. You are just a little mover, aren't you?" she asked, giggling at her son's cuteness. "You didn't answer my question, though, honey."

"What was it?"

His mom sighed. "Why do you want a baby sister? Do you not like your younger brothers?"

"I don't know," Hoseok stated playfully. "I just want a sister."

His mom had just been through a miscarriage a couple of months ago. It was early in the pregnancy and though she wanted to cry and dwell on it, she had seven sons who needed her. She had a husband who needed her. She didn't want to spend every second of the day crying. Although the situation ate her up inside, she decided that she wouldn't let this get the best of her. She told herself to look on the bright side every day and continue to be the positive mother her sons knew her as. She had been taught that if she really wanted to become something, she could, and if she really wanted to get something, she could. Kim Marie wasn't going to let anyone tell her otherwise. "How much do you want a baby sister?"

"A lot," Hoseok answered. "Do you want a baby sister?"

His mom smiled. "I'm a bit too old to have a baby sister, Hobi, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't mind."

"I would trade all my lunches for a baby sister," Hoseok continued.

So that's why he doesn't eat at lunch. "You would?"

"I would even let Jin-hyung play with my blocks," the boy added. It was no secret around the house that Hoseok, for some unknown reason, couldn't stand it when Jin played with his blocks. Anyone else could, but Jin absolutely could not unless he wanted to have Hoseok throw a tantrum.

"Maybe one day, honey," his mom murmured. She always wanted a little girl, and now after having seven boys, she wanted one more than ever. And a miscarriage wouldn't take that dream away from her. She didn't know she would have a couple more in the future, but after six years, she would be gifted for her determination and patience. "What would you do with your baby sister?"

"Um," Hoseok thought for a moment, hopping over another crack. "I would play with her. Oh! And let her play with my blocks."

"That's nice of you," his mom sighed. "I'm sure she'd appreciate that."

"I would be the best big brother ever, eomma," Hoseok grinned, looking up his mom with bright eyes. "Wouldn't I?"

"Of course." Marie picked up her son and let him sit on her hip and she turned to go back home. "Now, I was thinking of baking something sweet tonight. What do you want?"

Hoseok gasped. "A cake! I want a cake! A chocolate one!"

His mom laughed. "A chocolate cake it is then, Hobi-honey."

---

writing young bts is literally my favorite thing ever