Chapter 5: The Past

I knew exactly what that meant, and it wasn't good. She was dying. I heard the doctors talking.

Doctor: Time of death?

I started walking out, I couldn't deal with it. I was at the hospital entrance. Brennen was there. He had a busted lip, she tried to fight back, she got a few good hits in, despite him being captain of the football team.

Brennen: She in the clouds yet?

It took everything in me not to bust his head in.

Colby: You have 30 seconds to get in your car and leave.

Tears started streaming down my face. Then, a doctor came up behind me and tapped me on my shoulder.

Doctor: She's not dead, she came back at the last second, it's a medical miracle.

Colby: Really?

Doctor: She's in a coma, but there are no promises.

Colby: Thank You.

Doctor: It's my job. If you don't mind me asking, she's your girlfriend right?

Colby: Yeah, kind of, it's complicated.

Doctor: When did you guys meet?

I thought back in my mind to the first time I met her. Junior year. 2 years ago, it was when I first moved here. She was smiling at me, then her friend said something and she laughed, it was so cute.

Colby: 2 years ago. Gym Class.

Doctor: I got to go back to my shift, but you can wait in the waiting room until she can have visitors.

Colby: Sounds good.

I walked back to the waiting room. I thought back to before I really knew her. I remembered one day walking down the halls. She was with her friends and they were talking. She always hung out with the people who never really fit in with others.

I passed her and she looked at me, then her friend yelled "Brother Husbands!" I didn't understand what her friend meant, but she and her other friends did. They all erupted with laughter.

Jen: Just because I wear rings doesn't mean I'm married to 5 people!

Then, I got the joke, instead of sister-wives it was brother-husbands.

Friend: Well your five brother husbands are: Reed, Colby,-

Jen: Would you shut up!

I couldn't believe she had said my name. I smiled at her. She looked at me and seen me looking at her. She turned back to her friends.

Jen: Now you see what you done??!!

I thought I would say something, just be funny.

Colby: Anywhere, anytime baby!

They all started dying of laughter. Then, Reed turned the corner.

Reed: In your dreams. Cole.

He said coldly and kissed Jen. The thing is, they didn't start dating then, they waited a while.

Later that day, in gym class, I purposely chose her for my team during capture the flag. She was in front of me and I was behind her talking to Sam in a whisper, trying to not let her hear me.

Colby: She's really hot dude.

Sam: I know right?

We weren't quiet enough. She heard us. She turned around and laughed at us. She walked away from us we were facing all of her friends, but she didn't care, anyone who crossed the half court line got tagged. She was very fast.