Chapter 80: Hospital

This song represents how I feel writing this book. (I know, that sounds corny)

*Ash's POV*

I sat at Peyton's bedside, crying my eyes out. I had woken up about thirty minutes ago from the panic attack I had at Prom. In that time, I had been discharged and I went straight to Peyton's room. She was in ICU. Not all of us were allowed back here, but the nurses didn't care, they knew what was going on and they knew she needed everyone there with her when she woke up.

Danielle (Peyton's sister, if you don't remember) had been rubbing my back to try to console my sobs, but it wasn't working. I still felt terrible. The nurses still had not told us the diagnosis yet, but everyone except me seemed like they knew something I didn't. I hadn't really looked at Peyton much since I got in here. I couldn't. I felt guilty for leaving her alone at Prom.

Nurse: Good news is that her vitals check out and she is beginning to build her strength back up, slowly but surely.

I snapped my head up in surprise. I didn't even notice that the nurse was here.

Ash: Do you know why she collapsed yet?

I asked eagerly. Her expression turned sympathetic and I gave her an uneasy look. She smiled weakly before opening her mouth to say something, before being cut off by Will.

Will: Jesus, don't make the nurse tell him.

He said with a 'duh' tone, looking to everyone else in the room, who still remained silent.

Ash: What is it?

I inquired, mad that they kept me in the dark about my girlfriend. No one answered for a few seconds.

Will: Fine. I'll do it. He's my brother, after all.

Will turned to me with a weak smile.

Will: Peyton had a miscarriage. You were passed out for a long time, during that time, she had to have surgery. Hence why she's in ICU.

Ash: N-No. She wasn't even pregnant. That was just a joke. Right, Haley?

Haley looked away and wiped a tear from her eye as she shook her head.

Haley: She found out right before you came to her house with your memory back two months ago.

I cried silently before running out of the room. I needed air before I had a meltdown. I took random turns down various hallways to get away.

I stopped when I heard the sound of babies crying. I stopped and turned toward them. One of the ones who was screaming caught sight of me. She stopped and smiled at me. I smiled back.

???: That one yours?

I jumped at the sound of a man's voice behind me.

Ash: No.

I turned to meet his gaze and he had light brown hair and green eyes that had a brownish tint. I got a bad vibe off of him, but I ignored it.

???: I'm Scott.

Ash: Ash.

I shook his hand and it was rough and cold. It's L.A., who's cold out here? I looked down at his hand and caught sight of a large scar across his palm.

Ash: How'd you get that scar?

He laughed lightly.

Scott: Um, funny story actually. Psycho ex-girlfriend stabbed me after I broke up with her.

I nodded my head.

Ash: I've had my fair share of psychopaths in my time.

Scott chuckled again.