Chapter 43: Finding Peyton Sawyer

It was getting darker in the forest to where it was getting hard to see. You and Ash pulled out your flashlights on your phones and looked around. You seen something move out of the corner of your eye. Ash heard it, but didn't see it.

Ash: What was that?!

Not even a second after Ash finished that statement, you heard coyotes howl.

Ash: Holy fuck we're screwed.

Jen: I thought coyotes rarely hunt as a pack.

Ash: This must be one of those rare times then.

Even worse, it started to rain. You and Ash turned to each other.

Jen and Ash: Run.

You two ran against the rain coming down in buckets and the howls of the coyotes getting closer. You felt someone or something  trip you. You fell to the ground and landed in a puddle of mud the rain had already created. 

Ash: Jen! What happened?!

You looked into the bush in front of you. You had seen a pair of eyes staring back. Human  eyes.

Jen: There's someone there.

You stood to your feet and looked over the bush. You seen a girl cowering behind the bush.

Girl: I'm sorry I didn't mean to trip you. Just please don't hurt me.

Ash walked over slowly.

Ash: I know your voice. I know who you are. You... You're Peyton Sawyer.

You could only see the outlines of Peyton and Ash in the darkness. 

Peyton: Ash?!?!

Ash: Holy shit it really is you!

Ash pushed you out of the way to see Peyton. He sat down beside her and made eye contact. 

Ash: I missed you.

Peyton: I missed you too.

They kissed and laid their foreheads against each other.

Jen: Sorry to ruin the sweet moment, but we're being chased by coyotes as we speak.

Right after you said that, there was a growl behind Ash. The coyote leaped for Ash. He fell backwards. He was expecting the razor sharp teeth the clench down on his face. Instead, something extraordinary happened. The coyotes lifeless body fell beside him. Peyton had thrown one of her throwing knives into the coyote's heart, killing it instantly.

Ash: Thanks.

Peyton: No problem.

You helped Ash to his feet and he helped Peyton up. All of you stood, staring at the body of the coyote.

Ash: Who wants coyote for supper?

Jen: You sound like my brother.

Ash: What?

Jen: I'll explain on the way back, but we have to leave. Now preferably.

Ash: Okay. 

All of you started to run back, Ash dragged the coyote by the hind legs, like a wheelbarrow. Soon, you reached the entrance and ran back into the street, hopefully the coyotes wouldn't come close the society. Everyone decided to walk the rest of the way home.

Ash: What did you mean I sounded like your brother?

Jen: My brother grew up in Tennessee. He loved the country culture. We moved when to L.A. when I was born. He used to always tell me how he used to catch raccoons and skin them, cook them, and eat them. I haven't heard any stories about what he's done over the last few years, but I guarantee he has caught at least one 'coon'.

Ash: Seems like he would have some funny stories.

Jen: Probably. 

After awhile of walking, we made it back to the house. Peyton asked if she could stay the night with you and of course, you said yes. You opened the door and walked in. Ash left the coyote outside on the porch. When you walked in Colby immediately scooped you up into a hug. He put his face in your neck as he spoke.

Colby: I'm so sorry Jen.

Jen: I'm covered in mud, sweat, and possibly coyote shit.

Colby: I don't care.

You rolled your eyes and smiled. He had a death grip on you. He was scared that were going to leave again.

Jen: Colby let go.

Colby: No.

Jen: Stop acting five. I can't breathe.

Colby loosened his grip just a little bit, which was enough for you to get out. You turned around to face Dakota, Ash and Peyton. Colby came up and hugged you from behind. He rested his head on top of yours. 

Colby: That better?

You just ignored Colby while Ash started to introduce everyone to Peyton.

Ash: This is Jen and her boyfriend, Colby, which is my brother.

Ash said gesturing to you and Colby. Colby tried to kiss you but you stopped him. He looked at you confused.

Jen: Just because you said sorry doesn't mean I'm ready to go back to how we were before. 

Colby looked at you with puppy dog eyes.

Colby: Pwease.

You laughed.

Jen: Only if you promise to stop acting five.

Colby answered very quickly.

Colby: Okay.

He said and pressed his lips against yours. Colby was the best kisser you had ever met. The kiss was quick but you knew Colby was okay with that. Ash continued the introductions.

Peyton: I thought Will was your brother.

Ash: it's a long and complicated story. Moving on, there's Dakota, Jen's brother, who's a Navy SEAL on leave.

Ash said, gesturing to Dakota.

Peyton: Thank you for your service, sir.

Dakota: You're welcome, and you can call me Dakota, I'm not anymore special than everyone else.

Peyton: Yes you are, you risk your life fighting for us to be safe.

Dakota: I like to consider it 'taking one for the team'.

Ash: Well I better start on making dinner before it's too late.

Ash said, walking over to he door.

Dakota: Okay, what do you plan on making?

Ash: Coyote.

Dakota: Oh hell yes, can I help?

Ash: Sure!

They both walked outside to skin the coyote.

Peyton: Do you know how long I was gone?

Jen: Six months.

Peyton: Do you know what happened to my kidnapper?

Colby: Your boyfriend killed him.

Song:

"I find the answers aren't so clear
Wish I could find a way to disappear
All these thoughts they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Nothing seems to go away
Over and over again
Just like before."

Previous Winner: galaxisliebe