Chapter 14: You Can't Run Away Forever

You decided to ask Colby about it.

Jen: Why do you have Jessica as a contact on your phone?

Colby: hm?

He said as he turned around and put his hands over his area that included a very visible bulge.

Jen: Why are you texting Jessica?

Colby: Oh we were partners for a thing in Chemistry.

Jen: Then why is she asking if you want to have fun? And why were you talking about hanging out yesterday and why do these messages seem extremely sketchy?

Colby: We were talking about Sulfur.

You could tell that was a clear lie. It didn't even match the conversation.

Jen: Right.

You began to walk away but wanted to say one more thing.

Jen: If you're going to lie about cheating, at least tell a convincing lie.

Colby: I'm so sorry Jen.

You could feel the hot tears on your face.

Jen: Don't talk to me.

You grabbed Colby's keys and walked out the door. He started to follow you. You got inside his car and locked the doors before he could get in. He started pounding on the windows.

Colby: Please, Jen, let me explain.

You drove off in his car. You realized you were still in your underwear, but you weren't about to face Colby again. You pulled out your phone and called Will. It went straight to voicemail. You yelled at Will even though he couldn't hear you.

Jen: DAMMIT WILL!

The car started sputtering so you pulled the car over. You were right in front of suicide bridge. You walked underneath the bridge, avoiding the rain that was coming down in buckets. You sat down on a block of concrete that was underneath the bridge, the only bad thing- it was were you told Colby about Violet. Memories of him started coming back. His smile, his laugh, his everything. You knew you loved him and you knew that he loved you. You hated the fact that he was so easy to love. You should have listened to your brain. You sat there and cried, and cried, and cried. Until, you felt a hand on your shoulder, which made you jump and scatter away.

Will: Calm down Jen, it's just me.

Jen: Next time, don't give me a heart attack, please.

Will: I know you're not going to like this but...

I seen Colby emerge from the other side of the bridge.

Jen: Oh hell no. I'm leaving.

Colby: Jen, please, just hear me out.

You have to remind yourself that this is the same person that kept you from jumping, that saved you from being beat to death, that stayed with you through surgery, should you forgive him for just one mistake? Then a thought crossed your mind... maybe it wasn't a mistake. A single tear fell down your face. Colby walked closer and attempted to wipe the tear away.

Colby: Don't cry sweetheart. I'm sorry

You grabbed his hand before he could touch your face.

Jen: Don't touch me. You can't do that anymore.

Will: Can I talk to you for a second? Privately.

Jen: Of course.

Colby walked back to the other side of the bridge.