Chapter 62: We Can't Escape The Past

I stood in disbelief. Peyton and Nathan dated?

Ash: What?

My voice was quiet but everyone could still hear me. My voice also cracked a little.

Peyton: Ash, there's a lot of stuff that happened before we got together.

Nathan: Yeah you probably didn't tell him he was only meant for a rebound.

His tone was full of anger towards Peyton. Nathan looked at me apologetically as his expression softened. Ever since the dock, we had became friends. We weren't trying to kill each other at every moment like we were a couple days ago.

Peyton: Why don't you shut up?

Peyton spat angrily at Nathan.

Ash: Tell me it's not true Peyton. Please.

I begged. I wanted this to be wrong. I wanted the words Nathan had just spoken to be a lie. I should've listen to my head. Girls like her don't go for guys like me. Girls like her go for douchebags. Not nice guys. Never nice guys. Peyton made eye contact with me then looked at the ground.

Peyton: I can't Ash. I can't...

I felt my heart drop for like the 60th time today.

Peyton: But I can explain myself.

I felt anger rise up inside me.

Ash: Everything we have is a lie?!

I yelled. She kept her eyes trained on the floor. She couldn't even look at me.

Peyton: No Ash, that's not it at all. I know you're mad. I know that you probably hate me right now. I just want to explain. Will you let me?

Ash: I don't hate you. I never did and I never will, no matter what you do. You can never make me hate you.

I stepped forward and lifted her chin up. My eyes flickered between both of hers.

Ash: You can explain. Please explain to me why.

I practically begged. You could see the regret in her eyes.

Peyton: When I first seen you at Will's party, I was planning on you being my rebound...

I scoffed.

Ash: I was right. Girls like you don't go for guys like me. The nice guys.

She ignored me and continued.

Peyton: Until you saved me. I knew you were more than that. You have no clue how much I hated what a I was planning to do. I'm so glad I changed my mind because I can't bear the thought of losing you. Also, nice guys finish last for a reason.

I seen a tear roll down her face. I quickly wiped it away. I wasn't mad anymore. I don't know why, but, I knew that this wasn't really a big deal anymore because I forgave her. I didn't want to fight I wanted everything to be easy. Just put this all behind us. I leaned down and softly kissed her. After I pulled away, I didn't go far, I only moved to where our noses were barely touching.

Ash: It's okay, I forgive you, I promise.

I whispered softly.

Peyton: So you're not mad?

Ash: No, I'm not.

We both smiled.

Ash: I think we've fought enough for one day.

Peyton: Me too.

Jen: If we're all done fighting, it's time for my surprise, which, no one can back out of. So, this year for Christmas we are doing secret santa.

Everyone groaned except for Jen. Even I did, the only thing I liked about Christmas was it being cooler outside than usual. That is, if we were lucky, it is California after all. I can't wait to go to New York, at least I'll get to enjoy cold weather. I love the cold, that way I have an excuse to cuddle with Peyton if Jen or Colby asks, even though they usually don't.

Ash: You do know how the last surprise ended right? With you being kidnapped, all three of us almost dying...

I felt sadness creep over me as I continued.

Ash: And with Will actually dying.

I looked at the floor with a frown on my face. I hadn't seen Will since the whole thing where Jen was possessed. I missed him. I didn't even get to say goodbye either.

Colby: Ash... Are you okay?

Ash: Yeah, yeah, I just need a minute.

I said, walking out the back door.

*Jen's POV*

Nathan: You think we should go make sure he's okay?

Peyton: No he doesn't give up on hope. It's the first thing I taught him: Never to give up on anything. But that doesn't mean it doesn't take it's toll on him. If you actually knew him you would know that.

Peyton said, anger dripping from her voice.

Nathan: Peyton I'm trying to be a better person. I may not know Ash that well but I want to be friends with you guys. I want to get along with my girlfriend's friends... But I can't do that if you won't give me a chance.

Nathan begged. He seemed like he really wanted to change.

Peyton: I'll think about it.

Peyton said with a little anger left in her voice. You just got lost in your own thoughts. You ended up thinking about that day six years ago. The day that changed you forever. The day no one else knew about... Except Will. He was the only other one who knew. The only other one who felt worse about it than you. Maybe if that hadn't happened you would've known about Ash earlier. Maybe if you would've told him the truth he wouldn't be dead. No, not maybe, definitely. If you wouldn't have lied to him that day, everything would be different. Completely and utterly different. Why was this memory haunting you so much now? Why not earlier? Because you hadn't told Colby... Or Ash. It was all building up inside you, making you feel guilty. You'll tell them all on Christmas. Show them the tapes. Show them you when you were fourteen. Show them the stupid mistakes you made. Show them that you and Will had a past. A past that ended worse than the day Will had died.

Song:

"Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains."

Previous Winner: ttaraa7