Chapter 68: Young and Dumb

This song expresses Jen's feelings after Will died. (Warning: if you have seen Fast and the Furious, you will probably cry.)

After Danielle calmed Peyton down, we all fell back asleep. When I woke up again, Jen was calling me and I heard my ringtone, which, Haley must have changed to make me cry because it was a constant g-note. I had to be careful not wake Peyton up because her arms were wrapped around my stomach and her head was rested on my chest. I considered not even answering the phone and just staring at her, but I know that if I did that, Jen would be pissed.

Ash: Yes?

I whispered, my voice raspy from just waking up.

Jen: Hey, can you come home? I already asked Danielle and she said Peyton can come too. Haley and Nathan are already on their way, but I need all of you here because I have to tell you something. I'll have Haley and Nathan pick you up.

Ash: Okay. See you soon, Merry Christmas.

Jen: Merry Christmas, Colby wants to talk to you.

I rolled my eyes and laughed.

Colby: Merry Christmas bitch.

Ash: Merry Christmas bastard.

I hung up the phone before we could say anything else. Peyton moved a little and her grip tightened on me.

Ash: Babe, we have to go to Jen's.

Peyton groaned in response and moved her legs on top of mine so she was fully on top of me. God, I loved this girl. I still hadn't said it though.

Peyton: Wait- IT'S CHRISTMAS!

She jumped off if me and changed quickly. I just laid there and watched her. Peyton threw my shirt at me.

Peyton: My turn to watch.

She laughed and I smirked.

Ash: Happily.

Peyton: You sound like Colby.

I rolled my eyes and pulled my shirt on.

Ash: Push me into a cold shower if I ever become as horny as Colby.

Peyton: Trust me, I will. I don't know how Jen puts up with it.

Ash: I don't know, whack-a-mole maybe?

We both started laughing really hard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jen's POV*

You were sitting on the couch, biting your lip, fidgeting with your nails, and tapping your foot on the ground. These are all things you do when you're nervous, and Colby noticed.

Colby: What's wrong babe?

Jen: Nothing.

You answered with a tone that made it was clear you were lying.

Colby: Look, I know that you miss Will, but it'll be okay. I'm here to numb the pain, make it all go away.

Jen: I know you think it'll get better, but I don't think it will. We were friends for 6 years.

Colby: Ash was his brother for 16.

Jen: True.

A few moments of silence passed.

Colby: Tell me about it.

Jen: What?

Colby: You and Will. You knew him for 6 years, so you were 14 when you met each other. Tell me how it happened.

You laughed thinking back to the memory.

Jen: It was the beginning of 9th grade and Violet was already making new friends, and since she was adopted, we were the same age, so same grade and while she was making friends in our grade, I was busy being a loner and looking for anyone I thought would make a good friend, since we were new. I went through all my classes with no luck at making any new friends. At lunch, Violet and I walked together and the only seats were with the football team, which Violet had apparently already made friends with and told them to save us seats, even though they had no clue who I was, only that I was Violet's sister.

Colby: I take it that Violet was quite the extrovert.

Jen: Yeah, she was. Anyway, we walked over and guess who was sitting directly in front of me?

Colby: Will?

Jen: Yep! Only, I didn't know his name at the time. How I found out was when the person beside me said "Hey, Big Willy, you should really get a girlfriend."

Colby laughed a little and you continued.

Jen: So I laughed and asked "They really call you that here?" He looked at me, smirked, and responded with "You wanna find out why?"

At this point, you and Colby laughed so hard you were crying.

Colby: That is hilarious.

Jen: Well after that, the guy beside me started cheering and everyone joined in, even Violet. He just stayed there smirking at me. The rest of lunch was just him staring at me and making inappropriate jokes. With my luck, I sat with him in all the classes after lunch. When his football friends weren't around he was actually a pretty nice guy. We ended up becoming really close, but we never talked about family, that's how I never knew about Ash. Then... After awhile... We made an agreement.

Colby looked concerned. You were going to tell everyone else about this once they got here but Colby kinda deserved to hear it first.

Colby: What kind of arrangement?

Jen: Violet and Mike wanted to do this whole skit thing where we would make tapes and make it basically a show you would see on TV... But... My character had a boyfriend in the storyline. So, Will ended up being him, only we weren't dating in real life, only for the tapes. Violet wanted us to date, and she wrote the script for each tape. We had to act out making out and the first time we did, it was the most awkward thing on the face of this planet. Especially since it was the first time I kissed anyone. We ended up having to act very... loving toward each other and we decided to become friends with benefits.

Colby: I thought you said that you two never had sex?

Jen: We didn't... Just extremely heated make out sessions that sometimes were filmed, but mostly were just because we wanted to.

You said quickly, out of breath after you finished speaking. Colby nodded.

Jen: Then one day, Will and I stayed after to clean up. We ended up having one of our 'sessions' and in the middle of it Will stopped and said something. He said he loved me. Truth was, I loved him too, but, I couldn't date him. My family had too many problems at the time. I didn't want him to know about that. It ended pretty badly and we stopped doing the tapes after that. The next day at school, he seemed really mad at me and he tried to kiss me. I noticed his arms looked weird out of the corner of my eye. He was doing heroin. He said he started after I rejected him.

Colby's eyes went wide on something behind him. You heard a long lost voice behind you.

Will: I thought we agreed not to talk about that Jen.

Song:

"And with the early dawn
Moving right along, I couldn't buy an eye-full of sleep
And in the aching night under satellites, I was not received
Built with stolen parts, a telephone in my heart, someone get me a priest, to put my mind to bed
This ringing in my head, is this a cure or is this a disease?"