Chapter 34: The Call That Broke Ash's Heart

Before you could speak, Ash's phone rang. Ash looked confused at the caller ID.

Ash: I have to take this...

He walked outside.

*Ash's POV*

I got a call from Peyton's mom. I went outside to answer.

Ash: Hello?

Peyton's mom: Hey, Ash, we have something to tell you. Since you were so close to Peyton, we thought you would like to know.

The use of the word 'were' crushed me.

Ash: 'Were'?

I said, barely masking the sadness in my voice.

Peyton's mom: We're planning on having a funeral, finally having peace after 6 months.

Ash: But, there's still ho-

Peyton's mom: There's no hope left, Ash, they can't find her.

And with that, she hung up. I felt the tears rolling down my face. I walked back in the house and silently walked to my room. I could feel everyone's eyes on me. I went to my room and hugged a pillow. I had to accept it, Peyton was gone. I didn't like where my mind was headed. I went to my dresser and got out my old blade from before.

*Jen's POV*

You seen Ash run upstairs crying. You turned to Colby.

Jen: Do you know what that was about?

Colby: I have no clue Jennings.

Colby said, dumbfounded. You ran to Ash's room. You went to the door and knocked lightly.

Jen: Ash, are you okay?

You heard rumbling around in the room.

Ash: I'm fine Jen.

He was obviously still crying.

You walked in anyway. He had a blade in his hand, pressed up against his arm.

Jen: Ash, put it down.

You said, trying to reason with him.

Ash: Jen you don't understand.

Jen: Well put it down and we can talk about and maybe I'll understand better after.

Ash: Fine.

He put the blade down on his nightstand. He was still crying rapidly. You sat down beside him on his bed. You put your arm around his shoulders.

Jen: Now, what was that phone call about?

Ash: Peyton. Her parents decided bury her. Well, an empty casket that they're pretending is her.

You brought him into a hug, while he buried his face in your neck, crying. You rubbed his back gently while his hands had grabbed your shirt and it was being balled up in his clenched fists.

Jen: That must be terrible. But, there was no reason to get out that blade.Trust me, cutting will only put you in a worse state if mind. It will make you feel so good, like a rush, but, in reality, you're just hurting yourself.

Ash: Jen, I'm sorry.

Jen: What are you sorry for?

You said in confusion.

Ash: I-I shouldn't have done it.

His head was still buried in your neck. You decided it was time he knew.

Jen: Y'know Ash, I had a rough spot too. It was two years ago.

Ash: Really? What happened?

Jen: Well, it was after Brennen, My parents were never in town, I felt like an outcast, even though I had a friend group that cared about me. So, I did what I thought was best.

You pulled away from the hug and rolled up your sleeve, revealing your wrists. His eyes were huge in astonishment.

Ash: Y- You cut?

You nodded your head. He had stopped crying by now.

Ash: Well... What happened?

Jen: I had did it, but, your brother, Will, found me. Only, he panicked... And he kissed me. Then I passed out and he called 911.

Ash: So... You and my brother kissed?

You nodded your head. Many seconds went by before either of you spoke.

Ash: Well the night Peyton was abducted, she was sneaking out to see me...

Jen: And her parents still like you?

You said, laughing.

Ash: Well... They don't even know we kissed, much less had sex, so... Yeah. All they know is that I'm a friend from school that she just loves to "hangout" with.

He put air quotes around the word "hangout".

Ash: Nah, I'm just kidding, they hate me.

You had forgotten to pull the sleeve back down when Dakota came up to Ash's open door. Colby slid on his feet a few seconds behind Dakota, gasping for breath as if he had just ran a mile.

Colby: I tried to stop him, but he's a really fast runner.

Ash: Well what did you expect dumbass? He's a damn Navy SEAL.

Dakota laughed at Ash's remark.

Dakota: I'm starting to like this kid.

He said, gesturing to Ash.

Colby: He's a what?

Colby said still gasping for air. He finally processed the information as he turned to you.

Colby: Well damn Jen, that makes him even more scary.

Dakota: Awe, Blondie, is your little boyfriend scared of me?

He said through laughing and teasing. His laughing stopped as his eyes fell to your exposed wrists, then the blade on the nightstand. Colby noticed, right along with everyone else.

Colby: Calm down Dakota, it's not what it looks like. 

Dakota turned to Colby

Dakota: Then what is it?

Jen: I used to cut. It was after something traumatic happened and I thought I had no one. I just had to talk to Ash about something...

You turned to him, shooting a glance that asked if it was okay to talk about his story. He nodded his head in response.

Jen: Ash has a girlfriend. Her name is Peyton Sawyer. She was kidnapped 6 months ago. It's a cold case now. He just got a call that they're scheduling her funeral, even though they haven't found her. 

Dakota's face turned remorseful.

Dakota: I'm so sorry bud. 

His expression lightened up a bit. 

Dakota: You do know that I was the best at finding MIA's in my field, right? I think I can find your girlfriend.

Ash's expression changed completely.

Ash: Really?!?

Dakota nodded his head.

Dakota: I know some people a couple hours from here that could help. You could come with me if you want, and if it's okay with Colby and Jen.

You and Colby both nodded your heads, Ash was overjoyed at this news.

Ash: I'd love to go with you. 

Dakota: Splendid! We leave tomorrow. I would pack some stuff, we'll be gone all day.

Ash: Consider. It. Done.

Song: 

"Close your eyes
Drive away the cloud that hides the light
And leave the pain behind
Dead alive
Find a way to bury all the lies
Escape the pain inside
‘Cause I don’t want to fall
Or let you go"

Previous Winner: Twilight_Da_Wolf

(Yes, it was Chained Up by Brennen, you guessed correctly.)