Chapter 49: What Are You?

(*Bit of a trigger warning at the end of the chapter... I'll put a line above it and after  if you don't want to chance it. But, don't worry, the dialogue after covers what you missed it you didn't read it.(It's a straight line. Waved lines signify time skips.)*)

After awhile, I just crawled back into Jen's bed with tears in my eyes. I looked over on her nightstand to see her glasses she hardly ever wore. The sides were dark blue and the frame was gold. She usually wore contacts, but, I secretly loved it when she wore her glasses, they looked so cute on her. Well if I'm blatantly honest, she looked even hotter than she already is in them. Was Colby. Was. I had to remind myself that I would never see her in the glasses again. If only I could see her one last time. I hadn't looked around Jen's room much because I was usually occupied by talking to her. I got up and looked around. In the corner of her room, I found a koala stuffed animal I got her for Valentine's Day junior year. I put it in her locker without anyone noticing. I grabbed the koala and laid back down. I hugged the koala like my life depended on it. It would be the closest I would ever get to Jen again. The scent of Jen was everywhere. On her sheets, the pillows, the koala, it was anywhere and everywhere. Once the smell would drown out, it would be the last time I would ever smell Jen again. I'll never get to hug her, hold her, kiss her, ask her to marry me, or raise children, because Brennen took that away from me. Brennen took everything I cared about away. He was always two steps ahead of us. Now she can never have the last name of Brock. I held the koala tighter and cried myself back to sleep.

*Jen's POV*

You woke up to see Mike sitting on the end of the bed in your parent's beach house.

Jen: Hey Mike.

Mike: Hey.

You had a throbbing headache.

Jen: I have a hangover from hell.

Mike: You're a light drinker.

Jen: Yeah.

Mike: So... Colby... He's your boyfriend?

You felt your chest tighten at the thought of Colby. Tears threatened to fall from your eyes, but you didn't let them. Luckily, Mike didn't notice.

Jen: Yeah.

Mike: Tell me about him.

Jen: He's tall, dark brown hair, ocean blue eyes. 

Mike: Have you two...

He wiggled his eyebrows. You realized what he meant and pulled the blanket over your face that was now red.

Mike: Oh? Was it good?

He said, laughing.

Jen: Mike, how the hell am I supposed to reply to that?

You were both laughing at this point.

Mike: Fine. What's his personality like?

Jen: Well... He's really sweet, protective, romantic... and sexy.

Mike: Is my baby cousin in love?

He said, stretching out the "o" in 'love'.

Jen: Maybe.

By this time, you were blushing hardcore.

Mike: I was waiting on someone to get your little heart.

Jen: Mike, I was 14 when you passed away.

Mike: I know, I was still waiting for it though.

After Dakota left, you and Mike became really close, and when he wasn't there, Violet was. You and Mike seemed to get along really well for cousins. He was 7 years older than you, which made him 21 when he passed, but you two were still really close.