Chapter 85: Shopping Trip

This song represents why Miles isn't telling Claire who (or what) he is.

(Picture of Lexi above ↑)

*Miles' POV*

I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling frustratingly. Claire won't go to sleep, therefore I cannot sleep. For the second night in a row! Does this damn girl ever sleep?

Okay, let me explain. The bond we have prevents me from being comfortable until she is. She probably thinks I'm insane from what happened at the mall today.

Good thing Will was there, otherwise, I would've lost my cool and hurt someone. I mean, Claire is mine. Mine to protect. Mine to love. Damn, I sound like a stalker.

I can't believe that idiot was hitting on her! I can't believe security wasn't called when I almost beat him to a pulp.

*4 hours earlier*

*Claire's POV*

Colby: Do you play any sports?

He asked me. I never really did before but I would be up to it now. I mean, I would probably suck at everything, but that's not the point.

Ash: The owner of the orphanage said you can run really fast.

I nodded my head.

Claire: Yeah, I kinda got my practice from running from wild creatures on the island.

Will: Sounds exciting.

He spoke sarcastically. I laughed in response. Will and Ash are hilarious. Colby seems a little off... like he's worried about something... Come to think of it, Selene and Jen were the same way... but only when they were talking to me.

Ash: You would probably be great at track or cross country then.

Claire: I guess I'll try track.

Lexi hasn't talked to me much. I don't really know why. I haven't really tried to talk to her either, but I'm fine being antisocial. I heard someone new talking and I tuned back into the conversation I was supposed to be in.

Worker: The best track equipment is by in the aisle to the left of the football gear.

The worker kept his eyes on me. He looked to be about seventeen. I read his name tag and it said 'Robin'.

Will: Thank you.

Will responded for me.

Claire: Where's Batman?

I muttered, snickering a little to myself. Ash caught what I had said and tried to suppress a laugh.

Worker: He's in the Batmobile, waiting for my shift to end.

Robin played along. I chuckled a little as we followed Robin to the track supplies.

Claire: Did you crack a window? Wouldn't want him to suffocate.

He turned around and smirked.

Worker: Some people like to be choked.

I looked over my shoulder and realized that no one else had followed him. How did three grown men and Lexi not notice me walking off? I chuckled nervously, wondering where everyone had gone.

I looked out the store window and caught a glimpse of Miles and Jeremy. Miles looked like a bomb that was about to detonate. I felt something grab my hand and my head snapped back to Robin.

Worker: Have you ever been in the 'employees only' room?

I shook my head hesitantly and tried to pull my hand out of his but his grip only intensified.