Chapter 81: A Child

This song represents how Will felt when he was addicted to heroin and going through withdraws.

*Ash's POV*

Ash: Of course. I'll be the godfather and Peyton would also be ecstatic to be the godmother.

I answered automatically. I already failed one kid, I couldn't do the same to another. Jack turned back to the nurse.

Jack: Ash Jenkins and Peyton Sawyer.

The nurse asked a bunch of other questions about Jack and Misti. I just zoned out thinking about Peyton. If I had only listened to Danielle and been more cautious, Peyton would be fine right now. Jack's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

Jack: I know you think it's your fault, Ash. And I also know you're not going to listen to me if I say it's not. So, let me show you the good that's coming out of this.

When I looked at him, he was staring at me with a serious expression.

Ash: And what's that?

Jack: Peyton found out her birth control was overdue and I decided to adopt Misti. See, bad things happen, but good things come with them.

He grinned at me. He's right. Misti would be stuck with either an addict as a mother or being in an orphanage.

Ash: I can't help to think I'm the reason she's here.

I confessed. Jack looked at me with an understanding expression.

Jack: Just because you had sex with her doesn't mean it's your fault.

Ash: But this whole situation hurt her and I promised I would never hurt her.

Jack laughed.

Jack: Dude, I know you're thinking that there are so many more people that are better for her then you are, but, Peyton honestly hit the jackpot with you. You are by far the best person for her.

This made me feel a lot better than I did before about it. Jack was actually a really great friend.

Ash: You're going to be one hell of a father.

I smiled.

Jack: So will you one day. That is if Peyton ever agrees to raise a child, of course.

He chortled.

Ash: After all this, if she wants a baby, we're adopting.

Jack laughed.

Jack: Any kid raised by you two would be lucky.

I smiled and nodded, silently thanking him. I changed the subject.

Ash: So, do you have an adoptive mother in mind?

I tried to say it in a way that wasn't 'do you have a crush on anyone?'. Jack looked at me weirdly like I had spoken another language.

Jack: Ash, you do know I'm gay, right?

I laughed at his joke.

Jack: I'm serious Ash.

When I looked back at his face, his expression was serious and genuine.

Ash: Oh. I-I didn't know.

Jack: It's okay. Not most people do. And to answer your question, no, I do not.

The nurse came out of the nursery where all the babies were and she even had one in her arms. The baby was crying loudly and the nurse tried everything to get it to stop, but to no avail. The nurse walked over to Jake and I and smiled at us.

Nurse: Meet Misti Miracle Meyers.

She handed Jack Misti and kept smiling. Misti stopped crying when Jake held her. He rocked her gently in his arms.

Jack: Shhh. It's okay, daddy's got you now.

He whispered, a joyful tear running down his cheek.

Misti was so calm. Is this what love at first sight is like? A way to love family and not a partner? Maybe society has it all wrong. After a few moments of Jack cradling Misti in his arms, he turned to me.

Jack: Do you want to hold her?

He smiled, handing her into my arms before I could respond.

Ash: I usually call children demons, but this one's not. She's an angel.

I whispered truthfully. Jack laughed quietly, not wanting to spook Misti.

Jack: When Peyton wakes up, can you tell her to give me a call?

Jake spoke sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck.

Ash: Of course. She'll want to meet her goddaughter as soon as possible.

I smiled. We were interrupted by Colby.

Colby: Ash, Danielle wants to have a talk with you.

Colby whispered, obviously scared for me. (Danielle is Peyton's older sister, if you don't remember.) My hands started shaking slightly.

Ash: She does?

Colby: Yeah. She looks mad.

I sighed and said my goodbyes to Jack before going back to Peyton's room. Jen, Colby, Danielle, and Drake (Danielle's Boyfriend, if you don't remember) were the only ones left in her room. Everybody else probably got sent home. Danielle opened her mouth to say something but I spoke before she could.

Ash: I didn't know.

I whispered with tears pooling up in my eyes. Danielle looked at me sympathetically.

Danielle: Normally, I would yell at you, and don't think I won't, but now's not the time. Peyton's hurting and we all want the same thing, so I'll keep the peace until she starts to feel better.

I nodded my head appreciatively and walked over to Peyton's side. I had a few things to say to her, whether she could hear me or not.

Ash: I'm sorry Peyton. I'm sorry I didn't ask questions. I'm sorry I didn't push harder to figure out what was wrong. I'm sorry this happened to you... Please just don't hate me for this. I love you, and I'm never gonna leave you.

(Anybody else like my Green Day reference? No? Okay. I'll stop.)

A single tear fell down my cheek and onto her hospital gown. I sat down in the chair behind me and held her hand, hoping for the best. If she's taken away from me, there's no telling what I'll do.

Last time I found a way to get her back, but if she dies, she's gone. Gone forever. I need her to bring me back to reality. I need her to be there when I fall apart so she can put me back together again.

Song:

"What is left of my body?
Or am I just a shell?
I have fought
And with flesh and blood, I commanded an army
Through it all
I have given my heart for a moment of glory."

END OF SECTION 2

The next chapter will consist of some flashbacks of important events that I have not elaborated on enough and I've decided that will be the best way to depict these elements of the story before a huge time skip and a load of new characters. Get ready for section 3! (If you have no clue what I'm talking about read the synopsis of my story and it will make more sense.)