Chapter 22: Coma

The doctor walked away. You walked over into Ash's room. He was hooked up to a series of wires. You walked over and put your hand over his.

Jen: It's gonna be okay, you're gonna to be okay.

You started crying. The weight of the situation came crashing down on you. Will was dead, Colby got shot, and Ash is in a coma where he could potentially die any second. You couldn't stay in Ash's room. You decided to go back to Colby's. You knew Ash needed someone, but you couldn't stay there. You sprinted back down the hall to the elevator. You made it back to Colby's room and went inside.

Colby: That was quick, how's Ash?

Jen: He fell in the woods and cut the back of his neck, some disease got into the cut and he's septic, so, he's in a coma and there's a 50-50 chance right now.

You looked down at the ground. You were so sad and mad. You blamed it on yourself because if it wasn't for you, Will would still be alive, Ash would be thriving and not in a coma he could or could not come out of, and Colby would be living his life the way he was before he met me. 

Colby: It's not your fault Jen, and don't think for a second that it is.

Jen: I can't help but thinking what everyone's life would be like if I didn't interfere.

Colby: Everyone's life would be terrible without you babe.

 Jen: You can't speak for everyone.

Colby: You're right, I can't, but I can speak for Will, Ash, and me.

Jen: Will would be alive right now if it wasn't for me Colby!

Colby: Maybe, but you gave everyone hope and compassion. You're more important than you give yourself credit for Jen.

Jen: Whatever.

Colby: Did you ever wonder why guys barely asked you out?

Jen: No.

Colby: That's mostly my fault.

Jen: Colby, what did you do?

Colby: I may have claimed you as "mine".

Jen: Oh so you can be dumber. Noted.

Colby: Jen, please don't be mad at me.

Jen: Explain.

Colby: What?

Jen: Explain why I was "yours".

Colby: I guess it all started when I first moved here. 

Jen: You've held up this fiasco for two years?!

Colby ignored what you said and continued.

Colby: The first time I saw you was in the gym. You were talking with friends and I ended up staring at you. Sam noticed and pointed behind you to Brennen. Sam said "Watch out, she's taken." At that point, I had noticed he had seen me and he was giving me the death stare. Brennen then put his arms around your neck and you turned and kissed him.

You didn't remember anything that he was saying. It had happened when you were dating Brennen, obviously.

Colby: I responded to Sam by saying "That won't last long, especially since I'm here." 

Jen: So you haven't changed at all?

You said, mocking him.

Colby: It wasn't long after that, you and Brennen broke up. I was waiting for the perfect time, and I thought I had it. It was when your friends made a brother-husbands joke. I yelled "Anywhere, anytime baby!" Then Reed kissed you.

Jen: Oh.

Colby: That's when I told everyone to stay away from you. I  wanted you for my own. I figured most girls like assholes, so, I decided to become one. It became my very nature. I was trying to impress you Jen.

Jen: You were trying to impress me by being an asshole.

Colby: Yeah. Anyway, a lot of guys wanted you, and I mean, a lot. 

Jen: So my friends weren't joking when they said that guys kept staring at me.

Colby: The weren't.

Jen: I'm gonna get some sleep, this is a lot to take in, you could use some yourself.

Colby: Why? I totally  did not get shot by a gun earlier.

You walked to a chair in Colby's room and sat down. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of you. You closed your eyes and darkness fell over your eyes. You slowly eased to sleep. You were in Will's house. You were in the kitchen. You turned around to see Will on the living room floor, dead. You heard a voice behind you.

???: You can't get rid of me that easy.

You turned around to see Brennen with a gun and blood all over him and wearing a sly smile. You woke up and started gasping for air. It was all a dream. If you didn't know better, in the corner of your eye you thought you had seen a figure in the corner, but obviously not because there's no one there.

You just sunk into the back of your chair. You tried to block it out of your mind and sleep. You successfully fell back asleep. You were back in Will's kitchen. He was in the living room, dead. It was where you were before. Which also means...

Brennen: Aaand... YOU'RE BACK!

You forced yourself awake. For a split second, you thought you had seen the figure from before in the corner. You put your face in your hands. You decided to stay up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colby started moving and tried to go back to sleep, but failed. He kept his eyes closed.

Colby: Jen, are you awake?

Jen: Yeah.

Colby opened his eyes and looked at you. His eyes lingered at the bags under yours.

Colby: You didn't sleep, did you?

You didn't bother lying.

Jen: No. I couldn't.

Colby: Brennen?

You nodded your head. Colby motioned for you to come over to him. She scooted over in the bed and made enough room for you. You lied down beside him and he put your arm around you.

Jen: How's your shoulder?

Colby Shh. Get some sleep babe.

He said putting his finger up to your lips. You rolled your eyes and let the dreamworld overcome you. You were back in Will's kitchen once more.

Jen: Not this again!

You yelled in frustration. Will's body was on he floor in the living room, just as you suspected. You knew Brennen would be back. But, you heard another voice, Will's.

Song:

"Don't know what's going on, don't know what went wrong, feels like a hundred years, I still can't believe you're gone. So I'll stay up all night with these bloodshot eyes, while these walls surround me with the story of our life."

Previous Winner: lillyGrace2003