Chapter 9: The Procedure

Jen: I choose to have the procedure. I can't live 6 months, knowing I'll end up dying anyway.

Colby: Jen, we can find another way, I can't lose you yet.

Jen: There is still a chance I'll live. I'm doing the surgery.

Jen's Mother: We support your decisions, even if we don't agree with them.

Nicole: Well, lets get you prepped for surgery.

I moved off the hospital bed that I was still laying on.

I got on my knees on the floor and held her hand that was laying on her stomach.

Colby: Jen, before this happens, I want to ask you something one last time, just in case you don't make it.

Jen: I have an idea of what it is.

Colby: Will you please be my girlfriend?

Jen: Fine Cole. Yes, I will be your girlfriend, just remember, if you do anything, your dead.

Colby: Finally Jennings!!!

I planted a soft kiss on her lips and let her go on to have the surgery. I could tell her parents knew and I left the room and waited in the waiting room, which wasn't that far from her room. I was happy but also scared. The happiness masked the fear. I thought back to the times when she didn't hate me. I remembered one time, it was one of the project things we have every year and we had to record a video. My partner and I treated it like a talk show and had hand clapping. I only agreed to do it if Jen came in the recording room for the hand clapping. My partner said it was fine. We had a group of people but Jen wasn't in there. I looked out the glass window into the classroom, to see her editing her video. I knocked on the glass and got her attention. I motioned for her to come and she shook her head no. I gave her the puppy dog eyes. She rolled her eyes. She got up and walked over to the recording room. Will stopped her and made a joke, like always, a dirty joke.

Will: You're only clapping your hands, not anything else.

Jen: Ha ha very funny. He apparently 'needs me' in there.

Will: Exactly. He needs you for his needs.

Jen: Oh shut up.

She walked in the room with me and a few others. That's all I remember from that day. I brought myself back to reality as a person sat beside me.

???: What the fuck happened to Jen you asshole?

I recognized the voice, it was Will.

Colby: It's a long story.

Will: You better tell me what you did to her before you regret being born.

Colby: Why do you care exactly?

Will: There is two reasons why I care. One: Because when she lost people, I was there, until Reed and Anna. I was in San Francisco on vacation with my family. You were apparently there and being the asshole you are I know something happened and I'm here to find out what you did to her. Two: I...um...well...always had a crush on Jen, I knew she didn't like me back, so I kept my mouth shut. But, I made jokes that made us both laugh. She was unique, different. She didn't care what people thought of her. She's also a tomboy, she hates girly things. She loves screamo music.

Colby: I didn't do anything to her.

Well, besides kiss her under a bridge and make her let me go home with her.

Will: Yeah, right. Like I believe that.

Colby: It was Brennen Taylor.

Will: He's got a death wish.

Colby: I wouldn't.

Will: Why not?

Colby: How do you think Jen would feel if she came out of surgery to find out that you're locked up for murder?

Will: She's in surgery?!?!?! What happened??!!?!

I explained everything to him, even the part where she's my girlfriend.

Will: Wow. Jen could die any second.

The nurse walked up to us.

Nicole: The surgery is going well, but we noticed scars on her arms. They seem like there from a couple years ago. Would you guys know anything about that?

It can't be what I thought.

Colby: No I don't know anything.

I turned to Will who was looking down at his hands as a single tear dropped onto them. He wiped his eye and spoke.

Will: Two years ago. It's exactly what you think.

Nicole: There's no records of her having any medication for her mental health.

Will: I am the only one who knows, she kept it a secret. I found out by accident. I'm not supposed to tell anyone.

I was kind of offended that she didn't tell me but, I was more focused on if she would do it again.

Nicole: There is a gash on her arm that looks really recent, but it's not from a blade, more like sharp wood.

Colby: She fell off her bed and her arm got cut on the bottom of the bed.

The nurse nodded her head and started turning around.

Colby: I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name.

Nicole: It's Nicole.

Colby: Cool, I have a feeling we will be here for awhile so I was just wondering.

Nicole: Yes, you will be here for awhile, and I will be taking care of Jen most the time.

Will: If she makes it.

Nicole: Well, yes, if she makes it.

Colby: I'm Colby and this is Will.

She shook our hands.

Nicole: Just so you guys know, I'm not doing the surgery, I'm only observing.

Colby: Okay.

Nicole: I'm gonna go get some coffee, I've been here for 36 straight hours so far.

Will: Woah, you sure you're okay?

Nicole: Honey, I still have 12 hours left, I have to be okay.

And with that statement she walked towards the cafeteria.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About 8 hours later, I heard someone saying my name, it was Jen. I woke up Will and we walked in her room.

Jen: Colby, you're still here! When did you get here Will, and why is Brennen here?

I turned around to see Brennen at the threshold of the door to her room.