Chapter 41: Explanations Come With A Price

You hurried and put on clothes. Colby did too. It hurt majorly but you fought through it. You walked out of your room to see Dak leaning against the kitchen counter.

Dakota: He's dead.

Jen: Dakota, please, let me explain. I know what I'm doing. Ash only heard a part on our conversation. He has no clue what happened.

Dakota: Then why the hell are you limping?

Jen: Because I fell down the stairs Dak.

Dakota: What did Colby do? Kiss your legs and make them better?

Silence lingered in the air. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Jen: I have to find Ash, do you know where he went?

Dakota: He's in his room.

Jen: Thank you.

You ran up the stairs and Colby came out of your room. Colby followed you up the stairs. You made it to Ash's room and knocked.

Ash: Go away.

You walked in the door and seen Ash on his bed, looking at the picture of him and Peyton. You sat down beside him on his bed.

Jen: How's the search for her?

Ash: Jen, how can you look at him?

Jen: What do you mean?

Ash: Colby. How can you look at him and love him? I can't stand to see his face. No one should ever have to go through that. Especially you. After everything you've went through, how are you still holding up? After what he did, he's no better than Brennen

Jen: I can look at him because I see him as the loving person he actually is. Also, it's not what you think, it's a long story, and I couldn't have survived the tough times without you, Colby, Will, and even Violet, and Colby didn't try to kill me. Trust me, he's 10 times better than Brennen.

Ash: Just tell me what happened.

Colby walked in the room.

Colby: Actually, I think it's better if I do that. She wasn't awake most of the time... And...

He turned to you.

Colby: I haven't been completely honest with you Jen.

You just shook your head and looked at the floor. Colby has hid so many things from you and you are almost fed up with it all together. Colby sat on the other side of Ash.

Colby: It was a party, sophomore year to be exact, the last party of the year. No one expected Jen to come, but she did. At the time, I had a crush on her. My friends, at the time, dared me to drug her and well... Y'know, and if I didn't someone else would. So, I went to roofie her drink and Will saw me and heard my conversation with my friends. He came up to me and said. "Touch her and I will, kill you." I responded with "Dude, you're drunk, go home, get some sleep." This made him even more angry at me. My friends saw what happened and they had this liquid stuff in a syringe that they gave him which made him fall asleep and my friend got him an Uber drive home and made sure he made it home safe.

You connected some dots from questions that weren't answered a year ago.

Jen: Was that what the fight was about the following Monday?

Colby: Yeah.

Ash: Fight?

Jen: Will had a really bad bruise on his arm, which was apparently where the syringe went into his arm and it must've went in wrong or something. He told everyone that Colby punched him. So, I confronted Colby myself. I found his locker and slammed it shut while he was looking for something. "Yes Jennings?" He said with a smirk. I replied with "Don't mess with my friends again, or you have another thing coming for you. Got it? Good." Then I turned and started to walk away, but Colby answered me. "Or what Jennings?" A few seconds passed by as I was deciding if I should turn around or not when he continued his statement. "What are you? All bark..." He walked up behind me and whispered in my ear. "No bite?" I heard "oohs" and "ahs" from the crowd I didn't know we had attracted. Will seen the scene from down the hallway. I heard a random person from the crowd. "He wouldn't dare fight a girl." I responded. "Because he knows I'll kick his arrogant ass." Will ran down the hallway, ending up passing by you and slamming Colby against the lockers. "No Jen, that's my job." He looked Colby in the eye and said "Consider this karma, asshole." I never knew what he meant until now.

Colby: I loved that day.

Jen: Why? Will kicked your ass.

Colby: Cause that day, I managed to talk to you.

Ash: Awe, that's sweet.

Ash said, his tone not matching the word's meaning and not meaning them whatsoever.

Colby: Anyway, I preceded to drug her and we found an empty room. I hated to do what I did. They stayed in the room with me to make sure I would do it. They heard cops and ran. I redressed her, but she woke up as I was doing it.

Jen: Now do you understand why I can look at him and still love him?

Ash: I guess.

Jen: That was not how we planned to tell you Ash.

Colby: Everything would have went as planned if you didn't have trust issues!

Colby yelled at you. You were confused as to why he was mad at you.

Jen: Colby, calm down.

Colby: Don't tell me to calm down!

Jen: Then what are you mad about?

Colby: You Jen! YOU ! You don't want to trust me, no matter what I do!

Jen: Well stop hiding things from me and maybe I will!

You yelled back. He looked furious. This is the worst fight you two have ever been in.

Colby: Didn't you used to run track Jen?! If you  were only a bit  faster, you could've saved Violet, but you weren't, and you didn't save her! You're the the reason Violet died Jen.

Your heart broke at his words. Your eyes teared up and your voice cracked when you spoke.

Jen: Is that what you really think?

He leaned over you and looked directly into your eyes when he spoke.

Colby: Yes. It what everyone thinks. It's all they ever will because everyone just loves me too much to blame it on me.

You moved out from under his gaze and kept your head hung low walked toward Ash's door.

Jen: You got what you wanted from me Colby. It may have taken you two years but you did it, and what's really  sad is that I was stupid enough to let you and dumb enough to believe everything you said. Congratulations.

Colby: Jen I'm sorry I just-

You could hear the remorse in his voice as he spoke. You couldn't tell if he was acting or not.

Jen: Save it for someone who actually cares.

You slammed the door in Colby's face, then you ran downstairs to see Dak in the same place.

Dakota: Blondie, what-

Jen: Just go back to Afghanistan.

You said and ran out the back door fully focused on the sound of your feet pounding against the cement.

Song:

"I miss you. I miss you so far And the collision of your kiss that made it so hard. Back home off the run. Singing songs that make you slit your wrists. It isn't that much fun. Staring down a loaded gun. So I won't stop dying. Won't stop lying. If you want I'll keep on crying. Did you get what you deserve? Is this what you always want me for?"

Previous Winner: VanessaMerrellover12