Chapter 76: Why Can't We Just Tell The Truth?

This song expresses Jen's feelings for Brennen after they broke up and she started seeing Reed. (I may have already used this song, if so, I'm sorry) Also, this is a long chapter. It is the length of two chapters, but I just couldn't find a good stopping point and I just kept writing. Enjoy 🖤🖤

*Selene's POV*

I was walking down dark alleys and abandoned streets when I heard yelling from a house. I recognized the voice and immediately texted Will the address. I had finally found my brother. I know he's not doing this at his own will.

The Sean I know wouldn't hurt people for amusement. I know he's working for our dad. I mean, I can't blame him, after all, I worked for him once too. I'm just glad I realized what I was doing was wrong. I mean, Sean and I are different, especially when it comes to our powers. I thought back to when we first discovered them.

(For the flashback I used quotation marks for dialogue instead of my normal writing tactic for this story, but once the flashback has ended, it will go back to normal.)

"Selene, I need you to watch Sean and Brennen while I'm out. I'll be back in a couple of days." My dad explained while grabbing his bags.

"Whatever." Fifteen-year-old me said.

"Please forgive me sweetheart. Daddy loves you." He tried to persuade me.

"I can't forgive you! You're a monster! You're the reason mom died!" I yelled while walking outside to Brennen and Sean, who was sitting on the back porch watching the sunset.

"Did he leave yet?" Brennen asked with his chin rested on his knee.

I heard the front door shut and I sat down in between them.

"Yeah. He's gone."

"Why does life have to be so unfair? We literally have the devil as our father." Sean said while looking at me with tears in his eyes.

My little brother, who is eleven, even understands how much of a monster our father is. I didn't know what to say so I just changed the subject.

"You guys hungry? I can make dinner. You guys can help and I'll make it fun, just like old times?"

"Just like mom used to do?" Brennen asked, heartbroken.

"Okay, maybe mom's not here. That doesn't mean we can't have fun like she taught us to." I tried to reason.

"Yeah, count me out." Brennen said while standing up and walking inside to the couch.

"Me too." Sean said and got up to follow Brennen.

I sighed and got up to make dinner by myself. I went into the kitchen to see what to make. I decided on homemade pizza, Sean and Brennen's favorite. The time passed rather quickly because I was mostly lost in my thoughts. When the pizza was done, I put it on the counter and got out three plates. I went into the living room and seen Sean and Brennen on the couch.

"Dinner's finished." I said happily. "I made your favorite, homemade pizza."

"Don't have to tell me twice." Sean said while jumping off the couch and walking passed me into the kitchen.

"I'm not hungry." Brennen said sadly while slouching on the couch and flipping through the channels on TV.

"You weren't hungry yesterday...or earlier today." I said while sitting beside him on the couch.

"So? Why does it matter?" Brennen snapped.

"Brennen, mom's gone, and it's hard on all of us, but at least we have each other." I said.