Chapter 21: Goodbye

Ash: No. It can't be him. It can't be Will. 

Ash buried his face in his hands. 

Jen: Ash, I'm so sorry.

This shouldn't have happened. All Brennen wanted was you, if you could you would take it all back and fix everything. 

Ash: I'll have to go back to San Francisco, leave all my friends, become an outcast again, loose any hope of seeing Peyton again, and most of all, have to deal with the fact that the one person who really understands me is 1,000 miles away, in the ground.

Jen: Ash, you don't have to leave if you don't want to. You can stay with me.

Ash: Thanks, but I'll just get in the way.

Jen: Sure you won't. You can help out with stuff, like, can you cook?

Ash: Yeah, Will taught me.

Ash looked at you with pained eyes.

Jen: I'm sorry I asked.

By this time, you and the others were pulling into the hospital. Colby had slipped back into unconsciousness, but he was still alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything was s blur until they got Colby settled in in a room. They gave Ash one too for his arm. You visited Colby first. Luckily, he was awake already.

Colby: Jennings.

Jen: I told you not to call me that a dozen times.

Colby: I'm laying in a hospital bed with a gunshot and that's all you say to me.

He said, laughing.

Jen: Actually, there was something that happened but I don't know if you remember.

Colby: Last thing I remember is you going into the back of an ambulance.

Jen: That's what I thought.

You looked at the ground and a tear rolled down your face.

Colby: What happened?

Jen: Will is dead.

Saying the words out loud made everything more real. Tears poured from your eyes. Colby rubbed your back as you cried.

Colby: Does Ash know?

Jen: Yeah, he's devastated.

Colby: Did they catch him?

Jen: Ash shot him, I think they found the body.

Colby: That's good babe.

You think the medication they had given him was very strong, but was wearing off because he started to stare at your face and you could tell his vision was getting better at focusing.

Colby: You shouldn't have gone with him.

Jen: Colby, I took one for the team, if I wouldn't have gone, Brennen would still be alive, you would be dead, and Ash and I probably would be too.

Colby: Is Ash hurt?

Jen: He broke his arm.

Colby: That's terrible, he was so good with that bow. Y'know, I think that kid starting to grow on me.

Jen: I told you to give him a chance.

Colby: It's just he seems so familiar.

Jen: He kinda looks like you.

Colby: Well he has lip piercings, and black hair, how in hell does he look like me?

Jen: I don't know.

You lied. You knew exactly. Ash acted like Colby when you first met him. They were both rough on the outside, but sweet on the inside, and yet, there was more to them than just the surface.

Colby: You're a bad liar, Jennings. What are you thinking about Jennin- I mean Jen?

Jen: We'll talk about it later, at a better time.

Colby: When is there a good time?

Jen: When we're more settled down and we don't have funerals, and having to deal with the cops and stuff like that.

The doctor walked in and he looked... happy?

Doctor: Cole Brock?

Colby: Yes?

Doctor: You are being released soon, it's the fastest case of recovery from a gunshot wound we've ever seen.

Colby: Thanks...I guess?

Doctor: I have to go, but just know you're very lucky.

And with that statement, he turned around and left the room.

Colby: Have you seen Ash yet?

Jen: No, not yet.

Colby: No one's here for him, go see him.

Jen: Where's his parents?

Colby: Before we left to rescue you, Will got them an Uber to leave town so they didn't get involved.

Jen: Oh okay, just try to rest, you need it.

You walked out of the room and went to the front desk to ask for directions.

Nurse: What do need miss?

She was pretty nice.

Jen: I'm looking for Ash Jenkins. He broke his arm.

Nurse: Room 711. Floor 3.

Jen: Thank you.

you walked over to the elevator and went to floor 3. You found his room. A doctor walked out as you were about to enter.

Doctor: Are you here for Ash Jenkins?

Jen: Yes. Is something wrong.

Doctor: Yes. He's septic.

Jen: I'm sorry, but what's that?

Doctor: He has an infection in his bloodstream. We're suspecting that he fell down a hill and cut his neck, got some infectious bacteria in the cut and it made its way to his bloodstream.

Jen: But he's gonna be okay...right?

Doctor: He's in a coma. It's a 50-50 chance.

Song: 

"Dead on my jacket, like it's a letter man. I'm gonna bring the storm like I'm the weather man. She said she gonna clean me up and turn into a better man, I said I'mma kill myself, oh shit Mike's dead again."

Previous winner: colbybrolby