Chapter 65: Apologies Can Reveal Secrets, Too

Colby: Uh-uh. No. He is never getting close to you again.

Colby said, looking at me. He was doing that thing again where he was really protective over you. He says he does it because he wants the 'light of his life' to be safe, because apparently, without you, he only has darkness. Honestly, you don't believe that. You think it's in his genes because Ash does it too with Peyton. You don't know for sure, it's only a theory.

Jen: What'd he say?

Peyton tossed you the letter. You opened it and carefully unfolded the piece of paper. You started to read it out loud.

Jen: "Dear Jen-"

A knock at the door cut you off. Colby jumped up and looked through the peephole on the door.

Colby: Speak of the devil.

Peyton: Brennen's dead, dumbass.

Colby: I know, I mean Jen's other ex.

Ash: Will?

Ash asked, turning to look at Colby.

Jen: I never dated Will.

At least, not that anyone (that's actually alive) knows about. Plus, you weren't actually dating. You were only fourteen and teenagers. It doesn't matter what you did or what yoh felt, because he's dead now. There's nothing that can change that. (Or is there???)

Ash: I don't see how you didn't. You two were like perfect for each other.

There was another knock at the door, this time, louder.

Colby: It's Reed.

Ash: I don't see a mouth piece to a woodwind instrument anywhere.

Everyone ignored Ash's attempt at joke and at playing dumb.

Jen: I got it. Ash, go lock Colby in our room, I don't want to have him explode and like kill Reed.

Colby: I won't do anything.

You don't believe that for a second.

Jen: Sit on the couch and do not move.

You said.

Colby: Fine.

You got up and walked to the door and opened it.

Reed: Jen?

Jen: Yes?

He grew his hair out a little more and it's curly. His facial features has changed a little, he got his ear lobes pierced, but besides that, he's still Reed.

Reed: Geez, you've changed.

He said, in awe while looking you up and down.

Jen: What are you doing here, Reed?

You asked, annoyed that he was here.

Reed: I'm here to apologize. I'm assuming you got the letter?

Jen: Yeah, I didn't read it though.

Reed: Jen, I've felt bad for what I did for awhile now. I just woke up one day and realized what a dick I was. I never gave you attention, I pressured you into something that should've been something special, and, to top it all off, I cheated on you with your best friend.

He said, with sadness in his voice. It was actual sadness. He was legitatmately sorry.

Jen: I know what you did, Reed.

You whispered.

Reed: If I could erase everything I would. Then nothing bad would've happened.

Jen: Reed, something bad happened before we dated. There was no way to prevent what happened.

You said, referring to Brennen.

Reed: What happened?

He asked, confused.

Jen: Did you ever find out why Brennen and I broke up?

You asked.

The story everyone knows is that you and Brennen dated and broke up. None of the reports talk about the rape. You wouldn't let that info out to the public for privacy reasons. There have been some suspicions, but none have gotten out of hand to where people actually believe them, they're all just rumors that are actually true, just only a few know it.

Reed: No. I just left it in the past.

Jen: Let's just say I didn't say 'yes'.

You said, not wanting to explain what happened.

Reed: Wait he-

Jen: Yes. He did.

Reed: That's why you never trusted me to touch you.

He said slowly.

By 'touch you' you knew he meant like to hold your hand or wrap his arm around you.

Jen: Yeah.

Reed: Look, I'm sorry-

You cut him off.

Jen: Who recorded the video?

You asked, irritated that he was apologizing again.

Apologies are just words that people don't even mean most of the time.

Reed: What?

He asked.

Jen: Who recorded the video of you cheating on me with Anna?

You said more clearly.

Jen: I mean, you have to know because you showed up at my house, where you found the note, which led you to the bridge. So, you have to know who sent it because you know I received the message.

You said.

Reed: Look, Jen I can't say-

Jen: Do you want me to forgive you?

Reed: Yes but-

Jen: Then answer my question.

You said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Reed: Fine. It was Will.

This was the moment when your whole world came crashing down.

(Sorry this is so short.)

Song:

"On your face
A thousand ways
To kill me where I stand
Scarred again
There's no end
This war that I'll begin"

Previous Winner: sky_dolans_