Chapter 61: We're All Human

I felt the all my breath leave my lungs. I felt mad. No, not mad, jealous. I didn't want her to be anyone else's. I just wanted her to be mine. Only mine... But I ruined that. All because I was mad I ruined the best thing that ever happened to me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and walked in the cafe. My hands were shaking, but I just shoved then in the pockets of my jeans. I barely controlled the tears that wanted to pour down my cheeks. I walked to the booth where they were sitting. I looked away from them. I couldn't bear to see it. I cleared my throat. They stopped kissing and looked at me.

Peyton: Oh hey.

Ash: Hi.

My voice was a whisper. I couldn't let her hear the hurt in my voice. The guy waved at me then left. I could feel the anger radiating off of me as I shot him a glare as he walked out.

Peyton: You're late.

Ash: Like you noticed. You were too busy with that guy's tongue cleaning your tonsils.

Peyton: Well now you know how I felt.

Ash: What are you talking about? I would never, ever, make-out with someone in front of you.

Peyton: Really? Then what's this?

She pulled out her phone and showed me a video of me. It looked like I was recording. I was making out with some blonde girl. You could clearly see my tongue down her throat. I turned toward the camera and said : "If I knew you were going to be a liar, I would've left you with Brennen."

Peyton: I seen that at the dinner table. My sister heard that. So did her boss that was there, talking about a promotion. I had to leave. I went to my room and cried for the rest of the night. I cried when I woke up too. Until, I talked to you at the parent/teacher conference. I decided I was done crying over you.

Ash: Peyton, yesterday I was mad and I got drunk. Like, really drunk. Everything I did, and said, was just out of anger.

Peyton: Drunk or not, that hurt. You have no clue how much it hurt. Especially coming from the person who, at one point, would do anything for me. Would shoot a guy in the foot to keep me from another guy. Would lead an investigation for me after six months of hearing nothing. Would rescue me from coyotes.

Tears trickled down her face.

Ash: Peyton, I would still do anything for you. I just want you to be safe.

Peyton: I was so mad.

Ash: I know-

Peyton: I'm not talking about the video, even though, I was mad about that, I was talking about how you reacted when I told you I wasn't going. You were happy. Even if I did tell the truth, you would be mad I was leaving. You would be mad I was doing something for myself. It was an amazing opportunity and I took it. Haley made the same decision and you were so happy for her. You wouldn't even let me explain. 

Ash: Look, I'm over that now-

Peyton: I didn't make the decision because I wanted to go to New York. I made it because you also had an opportunity too.

She pulled a letter out of her trenchcoat and handed it to me. It was from a culinary school. They heard about me and my amazing cooking all the way in New York.

Ash: I'm so sorry. I feel like a total dick.

Peyton: You should.

Ash: Hey, I picked you up something.

I grabbed the case out of my hoodie and handed it to her.

Peyton: You remembered.

Ash: Can I make it further than the front door?