CHAPTER 1

"Cheer up." My moms words ring through my ears. We just got out of a heated argument about me not wanting to go to my uncles house for the summer.

"He's your only real living family member." She reminds me and I nod. I can't argue with her, she ends up winning.

He was supposed to adopt me, but he is driven by his job, he's actually married to his work. He has no time for children. He wanted to, but work first as he puts it. I don't blame him, everything happened so fast. He was young then, besides I'm glad he didn't adopt me, I would have never been part of the Walker family.

Drew isn't here to back me up on my claims like he is every summer, this summer is different. Drew has gone off to college and I'm left to fend for myself. They're his parents, not mine.

"I don't understand why I have to visit him." I mutter to myself, but my mom hears me. Her  soft rosy cheeks are a brighter red, becoming more irritated with me by the second. Her dirty blonde hair all over the place as she helps me pack, her bun coming loose.

I always admire the beauty of my mom, we look nothing a like and the stares we would get during our shopping trips together, were some of the worst.

"I just told you why." She says, her voice rising, but she controls her self and her voice softens.

"I'm almost eighteen. Can't I make my own decisions?" I start up the argument again.

"Maeve....Listen to your mother." I hear my dads stern voice from the hallway.

My mom gives me a pointed look, as my dad comes to her rescue. I roll my eyes and dramatically throw myself on my bed.

"You love your uncle." My dad says, walking into my room and seeing the piles of clothes on the floor. His eyes widen at the mess and laughs when he sees my mom struggling to close the suitcase.

"Your dad is right. You love you're uncle, you don't ever stop talking about him. Something is bothering you." She says. Great, thanks a lot dad. My dad is right, I love my uncle.

My dad is by my mom in seconds, and takes over with the overly packed suitcase. My mom breaths out, and claps her hands together. She walks over to me, sitting beside me. She stares at me, her blue eyes holding a sparkle.

"Baby, you can always talk to me. To us." Her gentle voice proclaims.

"Ester, are you packed?" My dad asks and my mom rolls her eyes.

"In case you forgot, Steve, I packed for the both of us." She says and my dad nods, ignoring her attitude.

"So, tell me. What's bothering you?" She turns her attention back to me.

"Is it a girl thing? I can totally kick out your father. Steve leave." She says to my dad and he fixes his glasses and runs his hands over his face. My dad lifts his hands up in surrender and walks out.

"It's not a girl thing mom." I say.

"Oh, good." My dad says and walks back into the room. He always listens in even if it's a girl thing. Sometimes he gives advice from outside the door.

They both sit and stare as they wait for me to continue.

"It's nothing." I breath out. Obviously it's something but I'm not about to tell them that the same kids every summer have been mean to me.

Ignore them, that's what my parents would say.

"It's something..." my mom says and her words linger, making me want to pour my souls out to them. She squeezes my hand. "Well, if you're not ready now, it's a long seven hour drive. Plus we are staying for the weekend. So you have until then." She says. I see a hint of frustration, and I feel bad. I don't always confide in them. I mostly confide in Drew, but he isn't here.