Prologue/Chapter One

Prologue:

Katniss and Peeta, now engaged, are heading off to college to begin their Forever and Always. They have gone through a lot but they now have a fresh start. Of course, there will be struggles but they are determined to make it work. That's what you do when your in love, right? You make it work. Find about the struggles they face along with the happy moments they experience too in the continuation of my story "Finding The Missing Piece: An Everlark Story."

"Finding the Missing Piece: Book 2"

Katniss POV-

We have been driving for twelve hours straight and I am bored out of my mind.

I didn't think that the drive was this long and we still have so many miles to go.

I am use to having Peeta by my side and keeping me company and he is so close, yet so far away in the car ahead of me.

I keep my eyes locked on the road and pay attention to keeping up with Peeta and watching for cars behind me.

I feel a vibration and look down at my phone to see that Peeta is calling, so I immediately pick it up.

(On the phone with Peeta)

"Yeah?" I say softly.

"Hey, I just got a call from the dorm advisors." He sighs, obviously disappointed.

"What'd they say?" I ask, as we turn a curve in the road.

"We aren't going to be rooming together. The only way they let boys and girls room together is if they are legally married. They did try to joke around and said they'd change our dorm plans if we wanted to elope on the way." Peeta explains, a little frustrated.

"Ugh." I groan into the phone.

"I know, but we will be okay. Remember what we talked about." He reminds me.

"Yeah, I just was hoping." I say.

"I know. I was too."

"I would like for us to dorm together but I don't want us to get married so soon just for that." I say and hope he understands what I mean.

He stays quiet for a second and then speaks, "Yeah, I know. We get married when we want and this shouldn't affect the timing, right? We still need time to live our own lives, you know? This time apart could be really good for us." He says.

"I understand. I mean it would be stupid to get married so fast when we just got engaged."

"I took so long to propose to you because I felt like we still needed time to grow before we got engaged and now, we need some time to grow before we marry." Peeta says.

"Agreed. So how much longer until we are there?" I ask with a pang of ennui.

"Quite awhile actually. I think since we got such a late start we will just get a hotel when we get to District Eight. It may be a longer drive than I remember." He says.

"Okay, but I am really exhausted." I say, "I just wish you were with me because I am extremely bored without you." I tell him with a faint laugh as I push my hair away from my face.

"I know, me too. I think we became each other's guaranteed live-in entertainment over time." Peeta chuckles.

"What are we gonna do now that we won't be together twenty-four seven?" I roll my eyes.

"I don't know, I guess make more time for each other." He says without hesitation.

"Like what? Dinner every night? Study sessions?" I pause, "Make-out sessions?" I ask him and laugh at my own joke.

"Yeah, actually that sounds really good. Especially the last one." Peeta teases. 

There is somewhat of an awkward silence and then I break it.

"Can we just talk? Well, until we get to Eight?" I ask him.

"Um, yeah... of course we can." Peeta says slowly and unsure.

"Uh, you weren't so sure of that." I say with a faint laugh.

"I'm not. I mean I want to talk to you but remember who pays our phone bills." Peeta kids.

"You do and I am so grateful for that." I laugh.

"Fine. Since you don't want our phone bills racked up, I guess we can hang up." I say.

"I really do want to talk but ya know. We won't be making much money now." He reminds me.

I know what he means, since we no longer live in Twelve, he doesn't have a job and I don't either, and didn't to begin with.

Peeta is the one that pays for our stuff and cell phone bills rack up when you talk for long periods of time.

Once we get settled into Five, I really want to find a job so that I can help support Peeta just as he has me and I just wanna be able to work.

"Alright, call me later. I love you." I say and wait for his response.

"I will. I love you too." He says and hangs up.

As I keep my eyes focused on the road, I decide it's time for some music.

It is about 11:30pm when Peeta finally finds a nice hotel in District Eight for us to stay at. We only bring ourselves, our car keys, phones, and clothes for tomorrow.

"Hey, I just got us a room. It's on the tenth floor, okay?" Peeta says, walking over towards me as I walk in from the car.

I nod my head and hug him tightly, he places a hand in the small of my back, "Let's go, you look sleepy." Peeta says, kissing my forehead.

We walk to the elevator hand in hand and quickly find our room. When you walk in, there is nothing but a simple bed and bathroom to the side.

I immediately shut and lock the door and walk over towards Peeta who is standing by the bed.

"Ready for bed?" I ask as I strip from my clothes leaving myself in nothing but my bra and panties.

I feel no shame or embarrassment in doing this in front of Peeta and neither does he, at first it was a different story for us both.

I remember that first night in our apartment, I was trying to show him that I didn't care if he saw my body so I stripped down into my underwear. I remember how he felt extremely uncomfortable but finally gave in and slept in the same bed as me.

"Yeah, but actually, I need to tell you something." Peeta says guiltily as he climbs into bed.

I narrow my eyebrows and climb into the bed next to him, "What is it?" I ask worriedly.

He swallows hard and takes a deep breath.