Chapter Nineteen

Katniss POV-

I look up, "Yeah?"

"We've spent almost three months here in District Five and we haven't adjusted. Three months is a long time." Peeta begins sadly.

"But I think it's about time for us to leave." He says softly.

I try not to look so excited because I know it's hitting him hard but then it hits me hard.

"We could move to town and you could still go until you graduate." I suggest to him.

He shakes his head, "I don't want to be here. If you're not at my side every single day, then what's the point? Delly is going to report you again and your record is gonna be ruined. Then if I stayed, I would be stuck with Delly and she would win. That's exactly what she wants."

He's right.

Delly wants me out of the picture, even if it just means out of the campus.

"She's not going to win and I'm not going to let her ruin your reputation. Plus, you and I haven't seen each other much the last three months and we are coping but it's not what we planned. We don't have forever, even though we do." Peeta says.

I feel more tears well up in my eyes and fall at his words.

I just hope he's making this decision and won't regret it later.

He's giving up so much for me.

"Don't cry. This is what I want. I promise if it wasn't, I would figure out a way to make us stay but I don't want to be here much longer."

I take a deep breath.

"I don't know how we are going to do it but we can figure it out soon." He sighs tiredly.

"Peeta, when can we leave?" I ask him after a few minutes of him staring off into space.

"Well, we can stick it out until Christmas or we can go now." He suggests.

It's not that far away but I'm afraid Delly will report me again before we could even make it the rest of the semester.

"What if I don't even make it until Christmas?" I ask him.

"It's your call, Katniss. I just think we've worked really hard the last few months to throw it all away before we even get benefitted from it."

"I don't want all of that work to be for nothing, at least on your part. If I get suspended then it won't matter but you have a chance to complete some of your classes." I say truthfully.

"It doesn't matter to me at this point. We just have a lot to think about and discuss." He says.

"Let's stick it out until Christmas. If I get kicked out, then that's what happens but I want you to finish your classes." I tell him.

Peeta has been working so hard in his classes and has been doing a great job and if he leaves before the semester is up, he won't get credit for it.

"Are you sure? That's still a little over a month away."

"Thanksgiving is a week away and we have an entire week off for it. Then Christmas break starts the third week of December and the semester ends. I know I can survive four more weeks so you can finish out your classes." I tell him, knowing it's the right decision.

There's nothing I can do about Delly for myself but that doesn't mean Peeta needs to suffer too.

"You're sure?" Peeta asks me.

"Yes. I know there's not much we can do if she reports me again but I want you to finish your classes this semester no matter what."

Peeta takes a deep breath, "Katniss, if you want to leave sooner than that, we can. I know you're not happy."