Chapter Twenty-Six

Katniss POV- (The next day)

"Are you ready?" Peeta asks.

We are going to say goodbye to my mother before she leaves for District One.

I nod my head and we get into the car.

"Are you sure she's going to be okay alone? I mean really, really alone." Peeta asks when we get onto the street of my old home.

I look over at him.

His eyes are focused on the road so he doesn't notice. "She survived while we were gone. I'm hoping she can survive in a new place." I admit.

I'm terrified for her, really.

"If you want to go with her, you can." Peeta says.

I look over at him, "I don't." I say quietly and look out the window, I see we pass Glimmer's house.

I think a visit to our old friends would be nice for us, I'll ask Peeta later.

Before I know it we are inside my house, the moving truck packed up with all of my families things.

The house being completely empty except for the three of us.

"Katniss, you have no idea how proud I am of you." My mother says out of nowhere.

"Thank you." I say softly, tearing up.

"I'm proud of who you became all on your own and the woman you are becoming." My mother says, gesturing Peeta and I towards her.

Together, Peeta and I walk over to my mother, side by side, we stand face to face with her.

I can now see how time and tragedy has aged her.

She has pale blue eyes and an ever so natural frown bestowed on her face.

Her blonde hair is flat and has no life, the color is dull, not vibrant like it was when I was little.

"You two have something that I've never seen before. Don't let anything get in the way of the beautiful friendship and relationship you two have."

"Thank you." Peeta whispers.

"Peeta, thank you so much for taking care of us the last few years. I know what I said awhile back was wrong and I regret it. I'm so sorry." My mother says close to tears.

I feel a little droplet of water on my hand and begin to think it was me that let it fall.

It wasn't me.

It was Peeta.

He is the one crying.

"We both said some pretty nasty things but it's the past." He tells her.

"I love you, Mom." I cry out softly and throw myself into her arms.

I feel Peeta rubbing my back for comfort as I hug it out with her.

Life in District Twelve will never be the same without her here.

I will not miss the mean mom or the mute mom but the mom she was when my dad was alive or the one Peeta helped her become.

But for now, she's caught somewhere in between all four of those and needs to figure it out for herself.

"I have to go now." My mother says, noticing the movers are ready to leave.

I break away from her and pull Peeta into our embrace.

"I promise to come to the wedding." My mother says holding my hands in hers.

I give her a sad smile.

"I can't wait." I say.

"Goodbye, Peeta. Goodbye, Katniss." My mother says formally patting the shoulder of Peeta and then me.

"Our promise will be kept." Peeta says.

My mom gives him a satisfied smile, "Mine too."

"Mrs. Everdeen, we are going to have to leave soon." A tall, buff man says, knocking on the frame of the front door.