Chapter Eighty-Three

Katniss POV- (Four days later)

Peeta and I haven't gotten much sleep the past few days. We've been alternating watching Bristol.

At night, we sleep on the couch in the waiting room since we can't stay with her at night.

Hospital rules.

I sit in her room and just visit with Bristol though she is unresponsive.

She doesn't talk.

All she does is cry.

I tried telling her that crying isn't helping her or the baby but I know she can't help but to cry.

It's sad.

The baby is still hanging on though.

Bristol refuses to eat too, also not helping a thing.

"You need to eat." I say pushing a tray of food towards her.

Bristol shakes her head.

"Bristol, the baby is still using you to survive. You have to eat." I tell her.

Finally, she gives in and eats.

I smile at her and I tell her how everything will be better before she knows it.

I didn't know how quick though.

It was extremely quick.

"Bristol. I'm here." Someone says behind me. At the sudden change of voice in the room, Bristol and I bring our heads up.

She almost jumps out of her skin as she sees Brandon walking through the doorway of her hospital room.

Brandon runs over to her bedside and gently hugs her, though her belly gets in the way. They share a kiss and both just begin to cry.

I smile sadly and walk out of the room to leave the somewhat newly weds to themselves.

I run into Peeta on the way out.

"You did that, didn't you?" I ask him knowingly.

He smiles sadly, "Yeah." He says and I wrap my arms around his waist, my chin rests on his chest.

Peeta cranes his head down and kisses my lips, "I'm so glad." I tell him.

Peeta smiles and nods, "I figured having him here would help her."

"It did and I know it'll get better from here. Thank you for everything." I smile widely.

Maybe having Brandon here will help her get better, completely?

The baby is still weak but has improved tremendously since the incidents the other day.

I honestly believe she will be completely healthy by the time Brandon leaves.

"I talked to the doctors and they said Bristol should be able to go home soon." Peeta informs me.

I smile happily, "Seriously?" I ask him.

He nods, "I bet that chance is better now that Brandon is here. I bet she will be out in no time." Peeta tells me happily.

This couldn't be greater.

"I love you." I say ecstatically.

Peeta snorts, "I love you too." He kisses my cheek.

A few minutes later, we return to Bristol and Brandon.

"Hey." Bristol says, giddy as we walk into the hospital room.

I smile beamingly at her, "Hey." I say back.

Peeta squeezes my hand and waves at our friends.

Brandon stands up coming to Peeta and I both.

"Thank you for being with her." Brandon whispers to us gratefully.

I nod my head and smile as he shakes Peeta's hand, then embraces me. Then, Bristol holds out her hands to me which I happily take.

"Katniss, I know the baby's going to make it. I just know it." She says.

I haven't seen her this happy in forever it seems.

I smile widely, "I know, Bristol. She's not giving up. I told you it'd get better." I tell her.

"Thank you, Kat." She whispers to me.

I close my eyes and bask in the positivity.

I feel a warm hand on my back, a tingle too.
I stand upright and see it's Peeta. He smiles at me, Bristol takes one of his hands in hers so that both Peeta and I are holding her hands.

"Thank you so much, both of you. I don't think I could've made it without either of you." Bristol says, tearing up again.

"It's no problem." Peeta assures her.

"We are glad that we can be here for you." I tell her.

She squeezes both of our hands tightly, "Thank you for bringing him back to me too."

Peeta and I grin widely, "You deserve it." I tell her.

The next day, Peeta and I decide it's time to go home. Brandon can handle it from here on out.

"I'll see you soon." I say, hugging Bristol one last time.

She smiles happily, "Hopefully the baby will be born before the wedding."

I smile, "If we are lucky, she can be there with us to celebrate the big day." I say, hoping that she's born before the wedding so they can both be there.

Bristol pats her baby bump, "I bet she'll get here before then."

I smile, "I love you both so much. I will see you soon." I tell her.

"I love you too. Bye Kat. Thank you so much." She cries.

"No problem. I'll call you later." I say, waving to her.

I walk out of the room to Peeta who is speaking to Brandon. They both smile when they see me, "Ready?" Peeta asks.

I nod, unsure if I'm ready to leave her but I know Peeta and I can't be here forever.

"Thank you both for everything you've done for them." Brandon says.

Hand and hand, Peeta and I walk out of the hospital.

We get stuck in an airport in District Ten, four hours from home.

Luckily, we are able to get a hotel for the night before getting on the next flight home.

It's the first time in a five days that we've actually got to sleep in a bed.

Together.

"I'm still sorry about everything I did the other day. Thank you for coming down. It means a lot to me that even though I was acting terrible, you came." I tell him.

Peeta's grip on me tightens, "I love you." He whispers into my ear.

"I love you too." I whisper back.

Peeta kisses my neck and pulls me up against his body.

I wake to nightmares 4 times that night.

Nightmares of Bristol's unborn baby, my own children that aren't even close to existence, and of Peeta and Prim's deaths.

We make it home the next morning.

Completely exhausted.

Mentally.

Emotionally.