Chapter Thirty-Five

Peeta POV-

Katniss is so upset with me right now and I don't blame her, I want to just tell her what's going on, but I promised everyone I wouldn't.

It might look like I was being unfaithful to her but that's not at all it.

I just can't quit replaying the look she gave me in my head.

Pure disgust.

Katniss was disgusted with me.

I feel terrible about it but I'm not doing anything wrong and she will understand later.

I am not sure about her, but I feel so empty without her by my side.

It reminds me of the months we spent apart in District Five.

I don't like it and even though we haven't been back long, I've grown accustom to it fast.

I finally fall into a restless sleep somewhere between three and four in the morning.

My alarm goes off around nine.

I get off of the couch and see everything looks the same as last night.

I don't think Katniss is awake yet and I'm quite relieved.

Just as I do every morning, I begin making her breakfast.

I make cheese buns, her favorite.

I make a plateful and carefully walk up the stairs of the creaky house, gently opening the door to our bedroom and find Katniss sleeping.

Her face is buried into my pillow.

Her braid is a mess and is hanging off the bed.

I hope she was able to get some decent sleep because I sure didn't.

Not without her.

I set the tray on the bedside table and take a seat on the floor next to her face.

I lean forward and lay my forehead against the bed in hopes she wakes soon.

Before I know it, she wakes up.

Her braid smacks me in the face when she jolts herself awake.

I bring my head up and she gives me a sad look and turns her face away from mine.

She's still mad at me.

I stand up and go to the side of the room she is facing.

"Katniss, I-" She cuts me off.

"No, I don't wanna talk about it." She says.

I look down in defeat, "Fine but I'm not doing anything wrong." I say softly and place the plate of cheese buns in front of her on the bed and walk out.

I just wish she would believe me but in a few hours, I know she will.

I decide that I better go to the store to prepare for tonight's meal.

"Katniss..." I say, knocking on the bedroom door.

"What?" She asks, looking up from her phone.

I sigh, "I'm going to the store. Do you want to come with me? Because I don't wanna leave you here, even if you are mad at me."

She stays silent for a few minutes and just as I am about to leave she gets up.

"I'll go with you." She says, looking down.

I smile slightly, wanting to smile completely but I don't because I know this means nothing.

"Okay." I say simply.